California - Northern

Today I went to collect my chicken's eggs after work, found one of my chickens dead inside the coop, next to the roost. She was pretty stiff, no signs of trauma or illness, I wonder what happened? She was a Red Star, about 2 years old. Alive and well this morning when I filled up the waterers.

hugs.gif

I would send her in too - that is too sudden for my liking. I had one young Mottled Houdan male do that to me, but I noticed he looked off.. then he just lay down and died. This was before BYC so I didn't know I could send him in and find out why he died. It would have been nice to know - for peace of mind at least.

Sorry for the double post...but I need advice.  The fuzzies on the Bay Area thread perked me up and so have the quail babies!  Love them!  But we returned home from vacation yesterday to receive bad news.  My favorite little blue silkie hen passed away while we were gone.  We don't know what from.  My neighbor tells me she just found her, no marks, so could have been the heat although she had lots of shade and water in the yard.  She was more like a dog than a chicken.  Followed us everywhere and talked to us while we did yard work/BBQd/relaxed....... always dust bathing nearby.  She will be missed....  my concern now is for my remaining silkie - her hatch mate.  She is now all alone as she and her sister are separated from the 3 big girls due to bullying.  She is about 2 years old now so I don't know what to do....  will she be okay on her own?  Or should I try to find another Silkie to keep her company?  Any thoughts, would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

I'm o sorry for your loss :(

Quote: I believe the nearest place that is set up to process poultry is in Sacramento. I had a large quantity of Bresse to process and could not find anybody local that would take outside birds... If you find someone local, it would be great if you would share, as I have a whole new group that need processed. Cheers, Carolyn

Last edited:
I need to look at my pens and add some multi-levels inside each pen.  I have a 1 ft x 1 ft x 1 ft black box (left over from some professional weight equipment that DH came home with years ago)in each pen and they get on top of them, hide behind them, etc.  I also cut fresh branches every week from our trees and put them in the pens so they can climb on them, hide in them, eat the leaves, etc. 

Cutting branches weekly is a great idea. Thank you :)

Quote:
Thank you :)

Quote:
Great! I think that's what I'll do, then! But keep it inside the run so that it doesn't get the attention of foster dogs.

My German shepherd herds by pacing the fence, but she doesn't crouch down like that. I know border collies have much more herding instincts though.

Well, that would be because, if I'm remembering right, GSD's are upright, loose-eyed workers. Meaning that when they're herding, they don't crouch or do the intense stare that BC's do.

Last edited:
Do I need to start providing a grit for my chickens? I know that the sand was fine when they were little, and they still have access to it now, along with rocks of all different sizes(see the video I posted, look at the ground). But now that they're getting older I'm assuming this won't cut it any more...So should I buy them grit&what do I get&how much&how do I give it to them?

Gosh, I never thought there would be so much to learn when it came to chickens!!

Back
Top Bottom