California - Northern

positive. Found them years ago through an Aracauna site, local lady. Beautiful birds with nice tufts, no beards and rumpless. Started my family so didn't have time to deal with the cream egg issue. Honestly, would have probably had to start over. The breeder said "ya, we have that problem going on".. Both hens laid cream eggs. It was such a let down. Was always curious if it was a big problem, but never had the time/resources to look into it further.
ShanShan has Aracaunas that lay blue eggs. She is in Vacaville and runs Die Fly Ranch:

http://www.dieflyranch.com/

I have been tempted to go pick up some hatching eggs from her flock.....
hide.gif

ShanShan has Aracaunas that lay blue eggs. She is in Vacaville and runs Die Fly Ranch:

http://www.dieflyranch.com/

I have been tempted to go pick up some hatching eggs from her flock.....:oops:
oh now your gonna get me in trouble. My DH already doesn't know about all of my spring plans already! Haha, but if I threw a few of those in the mix perhaps he wouldn't notice lol! Thank you Ron, it is nice to know of good breeders out there after all the false hopes I've had in the past :)

love reading on here all the stories when I get a chance! I had a nice surprise tonight. I was putting away my chickens for the night and couldn't find my gold partridge brahma roo. He must weight 12-13 pounds so usually not hard to find. i looked everywhere and then while walking back toward the house I noticed this looming blob over my head on the roof of my barn... yep, my massive partridge brahma roo was perched with the ameracaunas and easter eggers on top of my barn. These are the birds that people only give a 2-3 foot roost so they don't break something while jumping down. I'll let you know if he has a broken leg in the morning. :) but, wow, I was amazed!!!

Do you have actual Ameracaunas? They should be blue blue, not green or greenish blue. There isn't any flash in that pic, you'd see it in the straw.
Ameraucana can lay greenish blue or washed out single gene blue
More true blue is preferred however my U of A blues lay a bluer egg than my blue Ameraucana
I am not sure yet what my wheaten ameraucana x buff ameraucana easter egger cross will lay.
all my slver ameraucana eggs I have hatched are a lighter blue

just my experience

love reading on here all the stories when I get a chance! I had a nice surprise tonight. I was putting away my chickens for the night and couldn't find my gold partridge brahma roo. He must weight 12-13 pounds so usually not hard to find. i looked everywhere and then while walking back toward the house I noticed this looming blob over my head on the roof of my barn... yep, my massive partridge brahma roo was perched with the ameracaunas and easter eggers on top of my barn. These are the birds that people only give a 2-3 foot roost so they don't break something while jumping down. I'll let you know if he has a broken leg in the morning. :) but, wow, I was amazed!!!
Worst case thats one pricey chicken dinner

Hi Jeff!

I might have busted out the ladder for him. It is often easier to get up than down for big boys like that.

love reading on here all the stories when I get a chance!  I had a nice surprise tonight.  I was putting away my chickens for the night and couldn't find my gold partridge brahma roo.  He must weight 12-13 pounds so usually not hard to find.  i looked everywhere and then while walking back toward the house I noticed this looming blob over my head on the roof of my barn... yep, my massive partridge brahma roo was perched with the ameracaunas and easter eggers on top of my barn.  These are the birds that people only give a 2-3 foot roost so they don't break something while jumping down.  I'll let you know if he has a broken leg in the morning.  :)  but, wow, I was amazed!!!
My XL fowl breeds are so fat and fluffy they lay down and eat haha. I couldn't imagine them flying on top of a barn, you must have been wide eyed lol

Ameraucana can lay greenish blue or washed out single gene blue
More true blue is preferred however my U of A blues lay a bluer egg than my blue Ameraucana
I am not sure yet what my wheaten ameraucana x buff ameraucana easter egger cross will lay.
all my slver ameraucana eggs I have hatched are a lighter blue

just my experience

Our UofA Blues came from the same Breeder so they should lay similar eggs. I agree that the blue color is better than my other blue egg layers. I have had legbars and currently have a legbar cross that lays blue eggs(missed the brown gene to make an OE--not all first generation crosses make Olive Egg colored eggs). My other blue egg layer is a Dorking X Buff Ameraucana cross. It is a nice big light blue egg but not as blue either.

I am not complaining--the eggs are amazing this year! beyond my expectations so far. Now for the Dark egg layers to start up....Partridge Penedesenca, Wheaten Penedesenca and Black Penedesenca. The Crele are laying but from the two of them I get 1 egg every two days. The UofA Blues started a week sooner and out lay the C Penes by a bunch so far and C Penes are listed as good egg layers.

Back
Top Bottom