California - Northern

Here is Proof that not all chickens hang out with like colors:

Pita Pinta Pullet on the left and an EO marraduna Basque on the right.
Who would have thought, roosting on a hose.
lol.png

The Pita Pinta's are beautiful. I just might have to hatch some.

Ron, I looked up the breed as I was curious of how they were created. This site says the white should dominate the black? I think the black dominating is more attractive.
http://showchickens.com/chickenbreeds/asturian-painted-chicken/
Everything that I have found also says the mottled should be white with black. All of mine are black with white and I agree that it is more attractive! You do need some of these birds, Kelly! Mine are even more friendlier than my Wellies!

had a brief but lovely visit with Deann this morning -- i dropped of my nearly-adult CL cockerel Harold, who she will be shipping along with some of her own birds to a customer in LA -- Harold will be presiding over a breeding flock, which will make him very happy, i'm sure! in return i brought home three little CL chicks to raise with the four (marans + isbars) that hatched here last week. chicken-swap!

Ron, I looked up the breed as I was curious of how they were created. This site says the white should dominate the black? I think the black dominating is more attractive.
http://showchickens.com/chickenbreeds/asturian-painted-chicken/

Did you see the white and brown ones? They are very nice.

Megan was talking about arranging another import the next time She goes to Spain. She wants to get hatching eggs for the whiter version and maybe the white with brown version.

Yes! There are at least three color types of Pita Pintas.

Ron, I love those chickens! It is so cute when they have buddies. We have two of Deann's English Orps that we hatched (blue and black) and they are besties. It's so cute to see their huge fluffy buns running around together. We named them Dorothy and Roberta. They don't really like us, and if you manage to pick one up they make this very loud "whhhhy?" sound over and over.

I think we are going to be narrowing our flock down and then rebuilding it once we buy a house - if anyone wants some brown layers. They are great layers, healthy birds, very friendly. From McMurray, though, but would be good for a laying flock. I have someone at the feed store who will buy them (for their personal flock, not to sell there), but thought I'd throw it out there first. Mostly Buff Orpingtons, probably a RIR, Partridge Rock, a California Grey (from store bought egg) and possibly an Australorp. Aw, it makes me sad to think about.

We are going to have to build a temporary coop for them up in Oregon, as we've figured the only way to move ours will be to disassemble it. I am thinking probably a cattle panel hoop house with a tarp over it. We want to do it as simply and safely as possible. My friend's chickens are not pets, they are for sustainable food, and she doesn't shut them in at night (they have a coop, it just doesn't have a door. I don't know). She said that they have had some hawks, too. Our chickens are pets, so we want them to be as safe as possible. I am thinking we need to bring few enough that they can live in the hoop house at all times. Also this is in an area outside of Portland that does get cold, so we need the temporary coop to be dry and warm enough. If anyone has tips, ideas or examples I would be so thankful.

I also haven't been able to find a silkie or showgirl that isn't at least two hours away (which with moving we just can't manage) but my dad is buying a small coop for Clementine's birthday, so our favorite and friendliest chicken Kiki (from Deann's mixed laying flock (we got amazing birds from those eggs)) is going to live with her. I told Clementine we would order showgirl and silkie eggs to hatch once we move. I know that silkie eggs can be tricky to hatch, I'm hoping we can find some in the area to avoid shipping (although I don't know if we will be able to) but if anyone has tips on that, that would be great, too! Clementine has been making little silkie and showgirl cardboard cutouts, she's so excited. What a neat kid.

Ron, I love those chickens! It is so cute when they have buddies. We have two of Deann's English Orps that we hatched (blue and black) and they are besties. It's so cute to see their huge fluffy buns running around together. We named them Dorothy and Roberta. They don't really like us, and if you manage to pick one up they make this very loud "whhhhy?" sound over and over.

I think we are going to be narrowing our flock down and then rebuilding it once we buy a house - if anyone wants some brown layers. They are great layers, healthy birds, very friendly. From McMurray, though, but would be good for a laying flock. I have someone at the feed store who will buy them (for their personal flock, not to sell there), but thought I'd throw it out there first. Mostly Buff Orpingtons, probably a RIR, Partridge Rock, a California Grey (from store bought egg) and possibly an Australorp. Aw, it makes me sad to think about.

We are going to have to build a temporary coop for them up in Oregon, as we've figured the only way to move ours will be to disassemble it. I am thinking probably a cattle panel hoop house with a tarp over it. We want to do it as simply and safely as possible. My friend's chickens are not pets, they are for sustainable food, and she doesn't shut them in at night (they have a coop, it just doesn't have a door. I don't know). She said that they have had some hawks, too. Our chickens are pets, so we want them to be as safe as possible. I am thinking we need to bring few enough that they can live in the hoop house at all times. Also this is in an area outside of Portland that does get cold, so we need the temporary coop to be dry and warm enough. If anyone has tips, ideas or examples I would be so thankful.

I also haven't been able to find a silkie or showgirl that isn't at least two hours away (which with moving we just can't manage) but my dad is buying a small coop for Clementine's birthday, so our favorite and friendliest chicken Kiki (from Deann's mixed laying flock (we got amazing birds from those eggs)) is going to live with her. I told Clementine we would order showgirl and silkie eggs to hatch once we move. I know that silkie eggs can be tricky to hatch, I'm hoping we can find some in the area to avoid shipping (although I don't know if we will be able to) but if anyone has tips on that, that would be great, too! Clementine has been making little silkie and showgirl cardboard cutouts, she's so excited. What a neat kid.
The Pita Pintas are very friendly and the Boys get big fast. They are very smart too.

Coops can be very simple. I built a grow out tractor with left over wood and some hardware.

The wheels are from an old plastic wagon. They pivot on a screw to raise them. When the tractor is moved to the new spot, they are lowered.

I have a hinged lid on top so that I can get to the food and water.

There is a door on the front.

If I had predators, I would add hardware cloth to the bottom of the sides. The floor is chicken wire, so that the chickens can't pull out the grass. I have a 2x4 roost in there too.

Last edited:
This is the Badger one that I purchased. I don't see it currently offered separately from the face stick. There are other Badger sunscreens with scents but I am sensitive to scents so I chose this unscented one.

http://www.amazon.com/Badger-SPF30-...d=1383958648&sr=8-7&keywords=badger+sunscreen

And this is the Burn Out sunscreen:

http://www.amazon.com/BurnOut-Eco-S...1383958977&sr=8-1&keywords=burn+out+sunscreen
this is my current favorite -- notice they specify it's a *mineral* sunblock, not chemical sunscreen -- i absolutely love it!
http://smartgirlswhosurf.com/
Thanks!!! I will go look into those tonight! I am not opposed to sunscreen that doesn't cause more or just as much damage as the sun..

weeks!

The Bloom coating protects them. In Europe they do not refrigerate eggs.

I keep them on the counter for three days and then move them into the fridge.

If you found a nest, float test them. Floating flat in the water is fresh. Sinking is rotten. The more it sinks and tilts in the water, the older the egg is.

Does anyone remember going to the grocery store and seeing eggs sitting in the aisle? I completely remember that but almost anyone I talk to doesn't remember he eggs not being refrigerated.

The Pita Pintas are very friendly and the Boys get big fast. They are very smart too.

Coops can be very simple. I built a grow out tractor with left over wood and some hardware.

The wheels are from an old plastic wagon. They pivot on a screw to raise them. When the tractor is moved to the new spot, they are lowered.

I have a hinged lid on top so that I can get to the food and water.

There is a door on the front.

If I had predators, I would add hardware cloth to the bottom of the sides. The floor is chicken wire, so that the chickens can't pull out the grass. I have a 2x4 roost in there too.

Well that is a nice looking little set up you built there.

So yesterday as I was running around like a nut I decided to check on the girls during the day. Since I work all day and it is dark when I get home, I rarely get to see them being active.

I noticed that they have been pecking on the Polish crest again. Her head was bright red and all irritated looking. I took her out and blue koted her and myself and trimmed the crest around her eyes again. They don't pick the black crested polish or the orange polish. Just this beautiful project pattern Deann is working on.

I wish they would stop doing that. It was almost all healed up and growing back in.. It pains me to cut their beautiful crest feathers, but it is more sad when they can't see.

had a brief but lovely visit with Deann this morning -- i dropped of my nearly-adult CL cockerel Harold, who she will be shipping along with some of her own birds to a customer in LA -- Harold will be presiding over a breeding flock, which will make him very happy, i'm sure! in return i brought home three little CL chicks to raise with the four (marans + isbars) that hatched here last week. chicken-swap!
Chicken math strikes again! Down one, up 3.
lol.png

Quote: No, I didn't see them. That would be neat if Megan can arrange an import. Any other Spanish breeds we need here?
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom