California - Northern

hooray! i gave my last three remaining "mutt" chicks (about 3 months old now, they were hatched by one of the summer broodies) to my contractor's son (who's about 9 or 10) to raise -- trying to get my flock more focused around the campines, isbars, and marans (plus the occasional blue-egg layer).

now seriously thinking about trying to find a new home for Max, the 2-year-old SFH rooster -- he's a wonderfully gentlemanly bird, both with his ladies and with humans, but i don't particularly want to raise SFHs, and would rather have each of my three larger coops focus on a single breed, with the two smaller pens for individual pairings or for growing out chicks. i don't know how easy he'll be to re-home, though -- anyone here interested? he's gorgeous and well-behaved!

LL

hooray! i gave my last three remaining "mutt" chicks (about 3 months old now, they were hatched by one of the summer broodies) to my contractor's son (who's about 9 or 10) to raise -- trying to get my flock more focused around the campines, isbars, and marans (plus the occasional blue-egg layer).

now seriously thinking about trying to find a new home for Max, the 2-year-old SFH rooster -- he's a wonderfully gentlemanly bird, both with his ladies and with humans, but i don't particularly want to raise SFHs, and would rather have each of my three larger coops focus on a single breed, with the two smaller pens for individual pairings or for growing out chicks. i don't know how easy he'll be to re-home, though -- anyone here interested? he's gorgeous and well-behaved!

LL
I can rehome ( as opposed to sell a chicken to someone who is going to eat him) a fair few roosters , and a fair few of them get picked up from your area. Write him a good genetic and personality bio, and post him here and on the local CL. If you are willing to give it some time it can be done. Especially if you are willing to ship him at their cost and can get an inexpensive box ( someone around here has boxes, I think??) Put all the unique things about him, does he have any great SFH characteristics? I dont know what colors, lines, etc are desirable is SFH. You know he is fertile, that is a plus!

Oddly, it seems that shipped eggs from farther away sometimes do well. Eggs shipped by truck from Washington have not hatched well. Eggs from Arkansas did very well. The time on the truck seems to be very bad for them.

Bantam eggs seem to hatch better than large fowl when shipped so hopefully you will do well with the breeds you want.

Do you plan on being part of the New Year Day Hatch? I said yest to being the Host this year so get ready for a Hatch a Long!

Maybe!!!

I can rehome ( as opposed to sell a chicken to someone who is going to eat him) a fair few roosters , and a fair few of them get picked up from your area. Write him a good genetic and personality bio, and post him here and on the local CL. If you are willing to give it some time it can be done. Especially if you are willing to ship him at their cost and can get an inexpensive box ( someone around here has boxes, I think??) Put all the unique things about him, does he have any great SFH characteristics? I dont know what colors, lines, etc are desirable is SFH. You know he is fertile, that is a plus!

thanks, i've got him listed on CL (here in the north bay) already, and now posted here & in the SFH thread -- SFHs are a land race, so they don't come in specific lines or colors, part of their appeal is that each one looks different!

thanks, i've got him listed on CL (here in the north bay) already, and now posted here & in the SFH thread -- SFHs are a land race, so they don't come in specific lines or colors, part of their appeal is that each one looks different!
CAn deanne tell you the genetics of the color pattern he has? I have seen people looking for specific spots and backgrounds on BYC.

still looking for D'uccles after 3 months & 2 failed attempts!!!

SQ stock! I want porcelain, blue/black mottled , golden neck, millie fleur, blue millie fleur.. & anything else :)

I'm looking for hatching eggs/chicks/juveniles/adults. I'd prefer to have them shipped only if were within a state or two of each other :)

Any recommendations?

What about mstricer on D'uccle thread? She shows and has nice birds. You could also just wait for the Stockton show in January I think.

CAn deanne tell you the genetics of the color pattern he has? I have seen people looking for specific spots and backgrounds on BYC.

I got him from Deann originally, but I've been following the SFH thread all year, since i got him, and haven't seen ANY info on specific genetics -- I can ask, but don't get the impression there's much out there. he's got a lot of red, with grey lacing on his breast feathers -- and his mixed-breed offspring have been completely all over the place in terms of appearance, even with the same mothers.

on another note, i'm now getting pullet eggs from three of my teenagers! a campine, my one SFH girl, and my oldest birchen marans -- they look so lovely together!

campine is pearly white, SFH tan, and marans the dark one -- can't wait for one or the other of the two isbar/marans crosses to start laying, too -- so curious to see what the egg color is like!

I got him from Deann originally, but I've been following the SFH thread all year, since i got him, and haven't seen ANY info on specific genetics -- I can ask, but don't get the impression there's much out there. he's got a lot of red, with grey lacing on his breast feathers -- and his mixed-breed offspring have been completely all over the place in terms of appearance, even with the same mothers.

on another note, i'm now getting pullet eggs from three of my teenagers! a campine, my one SFH girl, and my oldest birchen marans -- they look so lovely together!

campine is pearly white, SFH tan, and marans the dark one -- can't wait for one or the other of the two isbar/marans crosses to start laying, too -- so curious to see what the egg color is like!

Very nice eggs!

I have the mildest mannered barred rock rooster, until the drill comes out that is. Last year he actually attacked it when it was standing upright. He is now locked up when I have the drill out. I'm guessing it is the noise that sets him off. I had the 40 girls from Swing Shift helping me weed the dill bed yesterday. I have a BSL that won't eat earthworms, defective bird!
None of my original flock would eat earthworms..... I think they were too big or something....?

I found this site on chickens and thought it was a cute idea. We all can't wait for the "first egg", so this lady immortalized it with gold leaf and in a display box. A bit costly, but so cute! http://www.gardenbetty.com/2012/03/the-golden-egg/
Also, her fermented liquid for feed she keeps for months. How long do you fermenters keep the liquid. I thought it would go bad before then.
That is cute. I wouldn't do it but it is a cute idea. I have too much Knick Knacky clutter as it is.

Oddly, it seems that shipped eggs from farther away sometimes do well. Eggs shipped by truck from Washington have not hatched well. Eggs from Arkansas did very well. The time on the truck seems to be very bad for them.

Bantam eggs seem to hatch better than large fowl when shipped so hopefully you will do well with the breeds you want.

Do you plan on being part of the New Year Day Hatch? I said yest to being the Host this year so get ready for a Hatch a Long
Ohhhhh! Now you are tempting me. I still have lots of work to do but I could maybe get some quail eggs from chiqita and do the hatch early instead of in the Spring. Although I may have a hard time getting any quail eggs at that time of year so I may have to just watch.

shh-smiley-face.jpg

We will be very quiet so that Mario does not know.....
gig.gif

Pretty..... is everyone still getting eggs right now? I am getting about 1-4 a day depending on the day, but my layers are all new and just starting.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom