California - Northern

The most common diseases that cause bubbly eyes in chickens are Mycoplasma gallisepticum and Infectious Coryza. Birds with these diseases are carriers even if they are not showing symptoms. Treatment only treats the symptoms, it's not a cure.
The birds that are not showing symptoms are the ones that may be resistant and will pass on their resistance to their offspring. But, if you dose them with meds, you won't know if they are resistant or if you are masking the symptoms with meds.

"Recovered birds remain infected for life; subsequent stress may cause recurrence of disease."
http://www.thepoultrysite.com/disea...ction-mg-chronic-respiratory-disease-chickens

"Birds that recover frequently become chronic carriers."
http://partnersah.vet.cornell.edu/avian-atlas/search/disease/480

The Cornell website above is a good place to read about avian diseases and the symptoms.

If you don't want to have a bird tested, that's your choice. But you are only guessing at what is wrong and what can be done, if you don't have any testing for a diagnosis by a professional. If you want to keep birds that have had serious respiratory symptoms, that's also your choice.

But if you want to breed and sell birds - as a responsible breeder & seller - you should know, not guess, about the health of your flock. You should not breed or sell offspring from birds that have had serious undiagnosed respiratory symptoms. Even if their symptoms have resolved, because they could be carriers.
Think about how bad you are feeling right now. Would it be fair to sell birds to other people and have them come down sick?

You should also have the means to care for your birds properly. Having a space for quarantine or separating a bird is a basic necessity. I know you are excited about hatching & selling chickens but there's more to it than simply hatching and selling.

@Audio51 I used the screw in ones. They say that you use a 5/16th drill bit but I found that it was too small so I have become adept at widening the hole just slightly by reaming with a sharp knife one rotation at a time till I can get the screw in started. I use a very light touch with the knife.(one time I didnt I made the hole too big. The cool thing about the coke bottle ones is that if you mess up one you don't ruin the whole container. (I suppose you could use plumbers tape around the threads to help the seal too) One cap to one bottle. I put 3 of them in my brooder box.

I also just made a 3 gallon hanging bucket with 4 nipples in it for under my large coop and had to be careful to make sure each one was tight and didnt screw up the bucket on the next one.

Ill probably use a regular water container for the day olds though. They seem to pick it up pretty quick when they are older and easier to teach chicks to drink if you can dip the beak.

Hi, I just joined and live in NorCal. I read thru the debate about where the line is and want to add my thoughts. You are NorCal if you use 'hella' as an adjective (as in "That is a hella cool coop you built") and SoCal if that use makes you want to hurl.

WELCOME......to our thread. Northern California is a state of mind here & not dependent on geography.
Hi I'm in redwood city.
WELCOME to BYC......This is a lively, friendly smart place to be.....LOL
What chickens are you interested in?

@Audio51 I used the screw in ones. They say that you use a 5/16th drill bit but I found that it was too small so I have become adept at widening the hole just slightly by reaming with a sharp knife one rotation at a time till I can get the screw in started. I use a very light touch with the knife.(one time I didnt I made the hole too big. The cool thing about the coke bottle ones is that if you mess up one you don't ruin the whole container. (I suppose you could use plumbers tape around the threads to help the seal too) One cap to one bottle. I put 3 of them in my brooder box.

I also just made a 3 gallon hanging bucket with 4 nipples in it for under my large coop and had to be careful to make sure each one was tight and didnt screw up the bucket on the next one.

Ill probably use a regular water container for the day olds though. They seem to pick it up pretty quick when they are older and easier to teach chicks to drink if you can dip the beak.
Since we are talking about waterers. What is everyone using for their brooders. My brooders are indoors in my front porch are 2 foot by 4 foot each. They are 1 foot tall.They have a solid wood floor covered by a textures thin solid hard plastic that is covered by that shelf liner that is mesh. I am using the regular screw on rings from Tractor Supply that you put on quart jars but they make such a mess & go through it so fast, I have tried several different methods that didn't work well so thought I's ask what everyone else does.The nipple ones work well outside but the chicks in the brooders played with them & made a muddy mess. I have them in outdoor grow out pens with no problem & in the rabbit hutch but disconnected them from the brooders. I had them piped in from a 5 gallon bucket on a PVC line through each brooder.

WELCOME......to our thread. Northern California is a state of mind here & not dependent on geography.
WELCOME to BYC......This is a lively, friendly smart place to be.....LOL
What chickens are you interested in?

Since we are talking about waterers. What is everyone using for their brooders. My brooders are indoors in my front porch are 2 foot by 4 foot each. They are 1 foot tall.They have a solid wood floor covered by a textures thin solid hard plastic that is covered by that shelf liner that is mesh. I am using the regular screw on rings from Tractor Supply that you put on quart jars but they make such a mess  & go through it so fast, I have tried several different methods that didn't work well so thought I's ask what everyone else does.The nipple ones work well outside but the chicks in the brooders played with them & made a muddy mess. I have them in outdoor grow out pens with no problem & in the rabbit hutch but disconnected them from the brooders. I had them piped in from a 5 gallon bucket on a PVC line through each brooder.

I use those or the one a size up. I bought large thin cement bricks to put them on 10×10 or 8 x 8 or something 1 inch thick so they don't shavings on or in it. That made the water last twice as long.

The most common diseases that cause bubbly eyes in chickens are Mycoplasma gallisepticum and Infectious Coryza. Birds with these diseases are carriers even if they are not showing symptoms. Treatment only treats the symptoms, it's not a cure.
The birds that are not showing symptoms are the ones that may be resistant and will pass on their resistance to their offspring. But, if you dose them with meds, you won't know if they are resistant or if you are masking the symptoms with meds.

"Recovered birds remain infected for life; subsequent stress may cause recurrence of disease."
http://www.thepoultrysite.com/disea...ction-mg-chronic-respiratory-disease-chickens

"Birds that recover frequently become chronic carriers."
http://partnersah.vet.cornell.edu/avian-atlas/search/disease/480

The Cornell website above is a good place to read about avian diseases and the symptoms.

If you don't want to have a bird tested, that's your choice. But you are only guessing at what is wrong and what can be done, if you don't have any testing for a diagnosis by a professional. If you want to keep birds that have had serious respiratory symptoms, that's also your choice.

But if you want to breed and sell birds - as a responsible breeder & seller - you should know, not guess, about the health of your flock. You should not breed or sell offspring from birds that have had serious undiagnosed respiratory symptoms. Even if their symptoms have resolved, because they could be carriers.
Think about how bad you are feeling right now. Would it be fair to sell birds to other people and have them come down sick?

You should also have the means to care for your birds properly. Having a space for quarantine or separating a bird is a basic necessity. I know you are excited about hatching & selling chickens but there's more to it than simply hatching and selling.
X2

Back
Top Bottom