California - Northern

I was charged $17 for everything from UC Davis, and the vet visit was $31 including the blood draw, so my total came to right around $50. Not bad at all.
Now that you have a little taste of panic. You can start preparing for the next disaster.

Seeing as you are short on space I would consider getting some of those cardboard pet carriers as instant hospital beds. Im sure you could rig a water system easily enough.
I would also make up a chicken first aid kit and spend some time preparing it little by little.

I think bio security is something you may be a little over sensitive about at the moment but that can be a good thing. Just set some rules and find a routine that is livable. You will not be able to protect them at all times as Wild birds and the wind can blow just about anything into their path.

There will be lots of things you cannot know or control. Im sure visitors are fine if you take precautions. Dont be afraid to ask if they have had contact with other birds today. You may want to provide some slip on sandals or something and bottle of purel for them to use before and after if they are to actually interact with your birds.

You will know better now some questions to ask when getting new birds as well.

Just like anything you can go overboard and still have things happen. There is a lot you can do but you short of vacuum sealing your coop cannot be 100% safe. There will be people who may visit and not even interact with your chickens that can carry in something. Some things are so prevalent in the environment that you simply cannot stop them and have to trust the birds immune system and be vigilant in separating any who show symptoms.

I was charged $17 for everything from UC Davis, and the vet visit was $31 including the blood draw, so my total came to right around $50. Not bad at all.

Now that you have a little taste of panic. You can start preparing for the next disaster.

Seeing as you are short on space I would consider getting some of those cardboard pet carriers as instant hospital beds. Im sure you could rig a water system easily enough.
I would also make up a chicken first aid kit and spend some time preparing it little by little.

I think bio security is something you may be a little over sensitive about at the moment but that can be a good  thing. Just set some rules and find a routine that is livable. You will not be able to protect them at all times as Wild birds and the wind can blow just about anything into their path.

There will be lots of things you cannot know or control. Im sure visitors are fine if you take precautions. Dont be afraid to ask if they have had contact with other birds today. You may want to provide some slip on sandals or something and bottle of purel for them to use before and after if they are to actually interact with your birds.

You will know better now some questions to ask when getting new birds as well.

Just like anything you can go overboard and still have things happen. There is a lot you can do but you short of vacuum sealing your coop cannot be 100% safe. There will be people who may visit and not even interact with your chickens that can carry in something. Some things are so prevalent in the environment that you simply cannot stop them and have to trust the birds immune system and be vigilant in separating any who show symptoms. 

I know I can't protect them from everything but I sure as heck am going to try! Lol! Thank you. I got into bed and just breathed a huge sigh of relief. I'm going to start preparing for emergencies in case anything else comes up.

Last edited:
So I think those of you that were thinking my Black Copper Marans was a boy were correct...I'm really starting to see it now, his face is RED. Anyone want a beautiful, friendly, feather-footed BCM cockerel? :)
0.jpg

Thank you!
sad.png

I was sure I had Vetricyn, but when I went to get it, I found that it was Blue Kote. Can I use that instead? I did give Poly Vi Sol though

Oh...and I am so sorry I forgot to "hide" the picture. Hope I didn't gross anyone out.

I would sure hope everyone could handle it.
Good going Jerry........I do so love the blues & don't have nearly enough of them.....LOL

You NEED me to send you some to hatch. ;)
They are sooo adorable!
Thank you.

Super cute but yes build your own and please take lots of photos. I have been contemplating building a coop from pallets but need some inspiration.
Biggest most important thing that I can recommend after building four similar to this is to make one side open up full width for cleaning. I cant say enough to stress how muck easier this makes cleaning.

So cute! What breed are they? Sorry this thread moves fast, not sure if you posted it.
I adore blues!!!
Thank you see below.

Said they were Blue Isabar over CLB hen
YEP!

Labratory Findings/Diagnosis
Negative for antibody to Mycoplasma gallisepticum.

So this means my hens do NOT have MG, right? I'm so happy I could cry...
YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am so happy for you. I have been following this story like a book. Nice ending!!!!!!!!!!!

X2. Clever
big_smile.png

Who here has experience in feeding orphaned small birds? Just found this on the ground.

-Kathy
Late the other night while I was asleep my wife hears squawking outside. Our cat brought her a baby Blue Jay, My wife took it from him and put it in a crate inside. Two hours later she hears the same thing, goes outside and takes another one from him. When I get up in the morning I got the heck shocked out of me when these two little fledgelings start squawking. We put them outside in the crate until two Jays came to their sounds. The parents were very excited and mad I think. My wife found a nest in the trees and had me put them up there. The parents took over from there, it was pretty cool. We think the dang cat went back and ate them though.
he.gif
At least he didn't bring them down to my wife to rescue again.

Originally Posted by Audio51
Well, this one is still alive this morning. I re-did the wrap and everything looks smaller. It really can't get around much with the wrap. I am giving it Sav-a-chick electrolytes and some scrambled eggs this morning. It doesn't really seem interested in eating, but does drink. Also gave it a little more Poly Vi. It seems skinny, but the down is still quite plastered to it and I really can't wash it. It also did not get to absorb all that yolk so it probably really is skinnier than normal. I am using the wound pad protion of a band-aid to try to keep the yolk from sticking to the vetwrap. Keeping my fingers crossed it lasts long enough to be able to safely have the wrap off.
fl.gif

Last edited:
Vicki - but shouldn't the face not be red? I have a Cream Legbar(100% sure it's a girl, autosexing breed) named Lady that is about the same age, and the only red on her face is her wattles. My pullets from Murray McMurray didn't get red faces until they started laying. This was BEFORE they started laying, their faces were just a light pink.

What does everyone else think about the video? Boy or girl? Nobody can ever agree on the gender of this one lol...I promised my mom we would keep it until we hear a crow.

So I think those of you that were thinking my Black Copper Marans was a boy were correct...I'm really starting to see it now, his face is RED. Anyone want a beautiful, friendly, feather-footed BCM cockerel? :)
0.jpg

This is a 10 week old FBCM Cockerel. Notice the red feathers on the neck and the shoulders. Those are the hackle feathers. Also, look at the shape of the feathers; they are straight. Look at the tail feathers. They are more pointed. Your chicks has rounded feathers on the tail.

900x900px-LL-4f7d64b6_DSC00266.jpeg

Only time will tell. They do not crow very loudly so you do not have to rush into giving the chick away.

Ron - interesting. I definitely see the difference. I promised my mom that I wouldn't get rid of it unless we hear a crow.

Deb - it is only about two and a half months old.

Back
Top Bottom