California - Northern

Welcome. this is a fun and informative and enabling thread. What are you feeding your hens and have you wormed them recently? Those are two factors that can really affect egg production.

It really does come down to feed sometimes. This time of year you can get away with free ranging and only supplementing with grain, but you will get less eggs then you should. The chickens will not be getting the best nutrition but will do ok if able to get bugs in the Summer. Of course only feeding corn scratch will kill them in the winter.

It really depends on what your goals are. A trick to save money is to cut layer 50% with Groats or wheat. There will be enough protein and plenty of eggs.

And they are free range on three acres. My husband said he is going to deworm them. What do you use.
Have they been wormed before? If not, Wazine and then 10 days later Valbazen. If they have been wormed before, Valbazen and then 10 days later Valbazen again.

The theory is that too strong of a worm medicine and cause too much of a load, not allowing the chickens to "eliminate" them if they have not been wormed before.

Before worming, you can take a sample to a vet for a float test. If they have not been wormed before, I would worm them though. Supposedly all chickens will get worms if they are on the ground.

I would treat them with a 7 type of dust or spray and also spray down the corners and roosts of the coop or coops. Use a liquid and spray the under side of the roosts too.

Best!

Hatchery Hens will often slow down a bunch at 3 years. Breeder wellsummers and Araucanas do not drop off as fast.
Welcome

Age can slow production and 3 years is about where you will see it start to drop off.
It is likely time to start adding new chickens. The Older ones may start dying off soon due to egg laying problems and etc. They can be kept as pets but if you are relying on them for egg sales you will be paying for feed with less eggs. If you are not opposed to it, once the new pullets come online, the older hens can be processed.

Also, they could be sold on Craig's List. There is often a market for older hens.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom