California - Northern

Reading your answer to another post, just wanted to add I'm one of those people from "other places" - I try to not interrupt your flow but I do enjoy this thread, even though it is impossible to keep up with all the posts! On or off topic, it seems like there's always something interesting and people are pretty "conversational". Thanks for sharing "air" space.
As we say Nor Cal is a state of mind!

lau.gif

Poultry Addicts of (mostly) NorCal might fit. Want to buy some birds? Get chicken recipes? Vent about predators? Have someone with an absurd amount of knowledge, experience and patience hold your hand and guide you through a chicken crisis? This is that thread! :)

I just remembered I have a little jar of blue cheese olives in the fridge. This thread is pure evil!
Duckies will call after you pitifully when you walk away from the brooder. I know how tough it can be to walk away when they're calling for you. Just be careful to limit the time when they are still so vulnerable to chilling. ESPECIALLY when they get wet, it doesn't take much at this age.
Sounds about right!
celebrate.gif

So, dangerous (to me
hide.gif
) question? Can you brood chicks and ducklings together or are their requirements different?

lau.gif
I am driving by the Olive Pit on Friday!

The Partridge Penedesencas are not laying much--Molting is starting. The Pita Pintas are still laying though. I have two that I am using.

Where do you live?

I'm up near Redding. Penedesencas and Pintas are nice.....

Quote: Can't remember if it was on there or not...

Fezzik (calico showgirl boy) moment of the day

Soooo excited about 6 new showgirl + 2 serama peepers...thanks @chiqita!
He looks quite elegant!

Quote: I have definilty learned my lesson...

I'm in Central Valley...Los Banos! NORTHERN CALI!!
Welcome to the group!!!

Quote:
And I agree always always 2-3 food sources. Its a pain but I always have babies so I need an unguarded food source or they starve.
Yep, I have several feeders out at all times. I too always have babies and need to have food available to them.
As will I from now on.

Quote: http://www.avianbiotech.com/Pricing.htm

Quote: Well said!!
clap.gif

Quote: You xan alsie make an elevated platform from wood framing and harwarecloth and set the waterer on top of that., If they slosh the water it will go down under the wire and not make puddles to play in.

Quote: I'm holding out for Pita Pintas next spring..

No, I did not go to the link.

Mareks is a Herpes virus that turns into cancer at about 24 months. It is like Herpes in Humans.

I have found it is better to post stuff into the thread.

I have looked into mareks and it seems like the best you can do is protect about 2% from dying from it if you vaccinate.
Here is a rooster with ocular Marek's. He also had cutaneous and visceral tumors.

-Kathy

Last edited:
Here is a rooster with ocular Marek's. He also had cutaneous and visceral tumors.

-Kathy

Did a brain tumor cause the eye change?

Great pictures.

Thanks! I have seen pale combs but not purple and the purple is at the tips too.

He died of Mareks Cancer right?

Basque's are nice birds for the heat also. They lay big eggs and don't seem to bothered by the 100° temps.

Yes, Basque are heat hardy, friendly, lay lots of big eggs and are Dual Purpose so the boys make good dinner. The Pita Pintas and the Basque Hens are perfect for Redding and homesteading.

Back
Top Bottom