California - Northern

@tj74roberts It may be that current keepers may be grandfathered or can apply for a permit to keep the flocks. I would think rather than an outright ban most cities enact rules that prevent on most properties (feet away from fences,property lines, dwellings etc)

Also many cities do not have the budgets for code enforcement of this sort and you applying for and paying a permitting fee is what they are actually hoping for.

My city ordinance says roosters are allowed by permit only but there is no way to apply for a permit given.

@tj74roberts It may be that current keepers may be grandfathered or can apply for a permit to keep the flocks. I would think rather than an outright ban most cities enact rules that prevent on most properties (feet away from fences,property lines, dwellings etc)

Also many cities do not have the budgets for code enforcement of this sort and you applying for and paying a permitting fee is what they are actually hoping for.

My city ordinance says roosters are allowed by permit only but there is no way to apply for a permit given.

Chris is probably right on all counts. Kern

Does anyone know how to get a petition against a city started? My town has now banned backyard chickens. I'm very upset and sad at the same time. But, I'm not giving up my girls just yet. We have a 4h chapter with our city name (90% of the members live WITHIN CITY LIMITS) and I'm one of the poultry leaders. Most of the members are primary aged kids (10 and under) and can only show at the fair small animals and our poultry group is very popular. I want to help our 4h chapter stay alive and also want to be within the boundaries of the city ordinances myself. Anyone have any ideas??? Any suggestions are welcomed. Thank you!!!

This is contrary to what most areas are doing. Most are changing their rules to allow chickens...... as an example Santa Rosa recently has allowed chickens in the city limits. Try to get some suppoort and I would use the 4H to help push it.

Walt

I think I officially have a broody pandemic. Elsa (cochin/silkie) is currently hatching mottled Orp eggs. Blue (LF cochin) and her daughter (LF/Bantam cochin) are on Orp eggs (for someone else) due to hatch on Saturday. Storm & Sky (cochin/silkies) decided to join the fun, again. This will be their 3rd brood this year so they got 6 eggs each last week, chocolate and BBS orps. The Twins (bantam cochins) jumped into the boxes with Storm and Sky a couple of days ago so they got 2 each from Storm and Skys batch. And now Joan (Crested Cream Legbar) has been sitting for 3 days. It's her 1st time and I want to give her eggs (I know, I'm a sucker for a broody) but I'm going to be out of town the middle of June and don't want eggs hatching while I'm gone. Decisions Decisions...

I wish the lack of money was the issue, because they just hired a new code enforcement officer, ugh! The rules are pretty clear about chickens stating that they are not allowed period in R-1 zones. I am literally the last r-1 house on my side of town. There is nothing but country behind me.

I wish the lack of money was the issue, because they just hired a new code enforcement officer, ugh! The rules are pretty clear about chickens stating that they are not allowed period in R-1 zones. I am literally the last r-1 house on my side of town. There is nothing but country behind me.
Knock a hole in the fence and lease some space behind you....
wink.png

This is contrary to what most areas are doing. Most are changing their rules to allow chickens...... as an example Santa Rosa recently has allowed chickens in the city limits. Try to get some suppoort and I would use the 4H to help push it.

Walt
Thank you Walt, that's exactly what I was planning on doing. We have the 4H symbol on our welcome to Ceres sign and why have that if they (city hall) don't truly support 4H and that means every aspect! My kids are so scared that they are going to lose their birds and can't show next year. I feel bad for them and will try everything that I can to help them.

Back
Top Bottom