California - Northern

Thanks, Ron! The Tiki Masala recipe looks good! I think I will try it. The other 1 came up with a .jpg image of a rooster, not a recipe though.
I tried to get some PP, but the eggs I got from Ron must have been severely bounced around. Nothing developed in any of them.....even the 2 Olive eggers he included.
sad.png
. I have been hearing how great they are for some time here and was anxious to have some. Ron said he would have me pick some more up, but I don't think I will be in the area in the foreseeable future. I am no longer seeing the Dr I was going to in Sac and I don't drive that far on my own. I might just buy some more and have him try shipping again. I really want some!
Sorry about the recipe--Weird things happen sometimes. I was considering converting to pdf, so I will post a pdf version this time:

I will get eggs or chicks to you this summer.

I agree with you. I wasn't advocating his business. I find it curious that anyone would, so I check in on him every once in a while. I only posted about it because Ron and Barbara were looking for Australorps. There are 2 local breeders on his list raising them.
Jim is an APA judge. He started a business, charging large amounts of money, annually, to "certify" your flock. He was using the APA name. Here is what is on the APA website, about it:
"
Flock Certification Program

The American Poultry Association (APA) has received several inquiries in recent months concerning a flock certification program. It seems that there are individuals offering flock certification services, via the internet, and are mentioning the APA in their advertising. It should be known that the APA does not endorse any individuals advertising flock certification programs nor do we oversee or offer a flock certification program at this time.

The APA is looking into the feasibility of such a program and , if we go forward with it, we will certainly inform the public through our website and the various poultry publications. However, until that happens, please enter into any flock certification agreements at your own risk.

Dave Anderson
APA Director

Now Jim is training "coaches" to certify flocks. These coaches aren't even judges or haven't been breeding standard bred poultry for long, from what I can see.

I met Jim in person, in 2013. He seemed so nice, I thought maybe I was wrong about him. I talked to him and told him that I liked his promotion of standard bred poultry but he was charging too much. He said that he needed to cover his travel expenses. He also said he'd like to see my flock, if he was ever in the area.
I contacted him, last month and told him that I had made some progress with my Delawares. I invited him to come see them and my Dorkings, but I said that I couldn't pay him for it. He invited me to his workshop, which I declined. He asked where I lived and said he would really like to see my birds.
So, I was surprised that he was in Dixon and Woodland, a couple weeks ago, and didn't mention it. I grocery shop in Woodland, it's 30 miles from my ranch. I'm back to thinking it's all about making money for him and less about standard bred poultry. JMO
Please, allow me to respond and introduce myself. I am the breeder who provided those 2 farms that you are referring to, in CA with Black Australorp chicks. If you could have seen what I started with 3+ years ago, you would understand the value of having an expert hand select breeders and monitor their progress ongoing. The improvement in this breed has been astounding and my birds have received compliments from some of the most respected breeders in this country. My birds have also been featured in a magazine in the UK by a poultry geneticist.

The fee that you are referring to, is a fee to cover expenses for travel, time and expertise for Jim to hand select the right male to breed with the appropriate group of females. And this changes each year, or more often. It is one on one education every time Jim Adkins visits a farm.

As with virtually all things in life, you get back out of it, the efforts that you put into it. This situation is a partnership, of the farm and Sustainable Poultry Network to work together to improve specific breeds.

In regard to the fee ~ Would you travel across the US, spend a day at a farm to select male breeders, go back to select female breeders and divide them up into breeding families and give unlimited support by email and phone calls for FREE? This does not even cover his expenses in most cases.

FYI - The Redwood Valley flock, in Redwood Valley CA, is owned by a 13 yr old 4H young man who is still in the learning process. I'm sure the other farms listed in CA with Black Australorps would be happy to answer your questions or show you the efforts of Jim's and my breeding with these birds. These are very nice birds ~ a direct result of Jim's guidance. I would invite you to check them out.

Did I get my money's worth? Yes, and MORE!!!

http://sustainablepoultrynetwork.com/testimonials/

The Forest Farm
NC

I need to rehome a rooster/ pullet pair. The roo is a gold sex link and the pullet is a black sex link. Both are 12 weeks old. We have to get rid of the Roo b/c of our city regs, but they were raised together and the pullet would be all alone without him and very hard to integrate into our existing flock.
I'm hoping to find someone who doesn't plan to make them dinner.
We are Davis/ Sacramento area, but happy to drive them within and hour or two if you could help them out.

Quote: Thanks you so much, Ron! I am looking forward to it! Just let me know what I owe you.....
big_smile.png

Quote:
Thank you!
I have plenty of pictures to share, actually. I have 7? cockerels that I'm trying to find homes for!
I can't wait to see pictures! I have quite a few cockerels to rehome too......Cream legbars and Marans mostly...

My new CLB family photo. 1 girl 2 boys

Congrat's Chris! Did you hatch them??

Back
Top Bottom