California - Northern

Hm, I think my Barred Rock pullets may be Black Sex Link cockerals, instead. They will be 5 weeks old this week. (Close photos of one only, but they're identical development-wise.)

The coloring is of a pullet, and my boys combs and wattles are bigger and redder at 5 weeks

My pullet

The boys are on top and on bottom, my pullet is on right

My cockerel and pullet at 10 weeks
At 5 weeks my chickens look just like this but smaller sized

Quote: Both do have gray washes on their legs.

Quote: The hatchery this particular feed store orders from doesn't have Marans of any variety--plus the legs are bare.

Quote: Thanks! I knew that they didn't have the coloring of BR cockerals, but they do look very similar to a chick I had last fall that ended up being a BSL cockeral.

Though, now that I look, he was lighter in color and had more comb and wattles at the same age.

Initial results are back already from Willow's post-mortem at UC Davis:

* Severe, diffuse, fibrinous peritonitis with visceral adhesions
* Severe, segmental fibrino-caseous salpingitis

6-2-2015: The most significant findings in this case are the visceral adhesions due to fibrinous exudate and segmental dilation of the oviduct; these findings are compatible with coelomitis/peritonitis and salpingitis, possibly complicated with a secondary bacterial infection. Histopathology to better characterize the described changes, as well as ancillary tests to determine any involved causative agents, confirm the given diagnosis and rule in/out other possible causes of disease are pending. Results to follow.

Sooooo...she has a problem with her oviduct (visceral adhesions) & this lead to peritonitis? Internal laying? Busted egg internally?
It does not sound infectious to the rest of the flock, correct?

6-2-2015: The most significant findings in this case are the visceral adhesions due to fibrinous exudate and segmental dilation of the oviduct; these findings are compatible with coelomitis/peritonitis and salpingitis, possibly complicated with a secondary bacterial infection. Histopathology to better characterize the described changes, as well as ancillary tests to determine any involved causative agents, confirm the given diagnosis and rule in/out other possible causes of disease are pending. Results to follow.

Sooooo...she has a problem with her oviduct (visceral adhesions) & this lead to peritonitis? Internal laying? Busted egg internally?

Yes!

Peritonitis is an infection. They will grow cultures to try to figure out what bacteria it was.

This is good news! No Mareks cancer, fungus or etc. Your flock is safe, thank god!

[COLOR=800080]  * Severe, diffuse, fibrinous peritonitis with visceral adhesions[/COLOR]
[COLOR=800080]  * Severe, segmental fibrino-caseous salpingitis[/COLOR]

[COLOR=800080]  6-2-2015: The most significant findings in this case are the visceral adhesions due to fibrinous exudate and segmental dilation of the oviduct; these findings are compatible with coelomitis/peritonitis   and salpingitis, possibly complicated with a secondary bacterial infection. Histopathology to better characterize the described changes, as well as ancillary tests to determine any involved causative   agents, confirm the given diagnosis and rule in/out other possible causes of disease are pending. Results to follow.[/COLOR]

Sooooo...she has a problem with her oviduct (visceral adhesions)

Yes!

Peritonitis is an infection. They will grow cultures to try to figure out what bacteria it was.

This is good news! No Mareks cancer, fungus or etc. Your flock is safe, thank god!

I feel awful that she was probably suffering & I didn't pick up on it.
Should I be concerned about E. Coli being the cause of the peritonitis or salpingitis? Well, I guess I should wait for the cultures to come back. But if so, I should treat everyone, yes?

I feel awful that she was probably suffering & I didn't pick up on it.
Should I be concerned about E. Coli being the cause of the peritonitis or salpingitis? Well, I guess I should wait for the cultures to come back. But if so, I should treat everyone, yes?

Wait and see but it likely was not e coli.

It is very hard to tell that a chicken is suffering. They hide weakness as a protection to predators.

So glad it's not contagious!

Rancho Cordova here.
Welcome! What kind of birds do you have?

Back
Top Bottom