California - Northern

Apparently Sylvester (who is an utter gentleman with me) is a leg-flogging dick with my chicken sitter. :(

Our quarantined in-house new juvenile is very comfortable with us walking around but as soon as a visitor stops by she is very wary that a stranger is in the house - unless they sit at the table with us and then she accepts them seeking treats from them or sitting on the bench next to them.  Chickens like dogs or cats know who their humans are and a stranger puts them on alert.

I had no idea he would have an issue with my friends (who he's met when I'm home). My BiL, who grew up with chickens, is going to take over from my sister. I feel so bad (for the people and for Sylvester).

Hi, I'm in Tracy and I've got a cute white silkie who just found his crow. Unfortunately that means I have to get rid of him.

Is there anyone in the area on here who would like a friendly roo? The feed store I got him from will re-home, but I would rather re-home myself.

Ok I thinik I want to try worming my chickens with the horse paste. Im looking for a recommendation on a brand etc. I saw lots of options when I was at the feed store.

Having never done this I need some help.

Also Im having some problems with soft or light shell eggs in one hen.I have been giving free choice oyster shell. Im thinking of adding the DE back to their mash again. I didn't have problems when I was adding it before.

I have one hen who lays a very thin shell egg but the membrane is tough. Cracking her eggs usually results in the shell collapsing before I can get the egg open. Im not sure which hen this is yet. I know a few who it isnt but not exactly who it is.

I think it is also the one who's eggs are near white a lot of the time.

My 3month old pullets are pecking at my two polish top hats heads. I don't see them doing it during the day. They have broken feathers and doesn't look too bad yet but I think I should separate them. I have twelve young pullets. I think their roost box is too small now for all of them. Can I just stick these two in a large dog crate at night til their feathers grow back? Wonder if this will be an ongoing problem.

I was going to say as others have if it starts it can be an ongoing problem. Try upping everyone's protien.

Maybe the chicken sitter is wearing a color or something that he does not like. It is funny when that happens.

My. Instructions when we had turkeys were no red and blue in the backyard. I had a green robe for emergencies when I was away.

Looks like I dodged a bullet. I have a pen with 3 pyncheons and a BLRW that hatched them. Broody fever hit and the BLRW and a pyncheon were co-brooding. 21 days later they had 2 chicks hatch, they neglected a chick and I found it dead. To prevent a reoccurrence I penned the pyncheon and chick within the pen.

The Moms desided to battle it out for the chick. The pyncheon got her lower jaw bruised, bloodied, and I think it was cracked as well. She was using it to eat and drink so I decided to watch and see how she did. It's been a week and she is still doing OK, swelling and bruising is gone but I know it is still tender. She's not losing weight but she isn't attacking me the way she was before the injury. That's a good thing, she was FIERCE!

For future when there is swelling try aspirin it helps.

Does anyone know where I can buy some Sufladimethoxine here in the E Bay?  All of my usual online sources are either out of stock or do not ship it to CA.  I have 1 sick Pita Pinta chick and only 3 days of S med left to treat her (& her brooder mates) with.  They have already had a round of Amprolium.  Should I give them the rest of the sulfadimethoxine and then switch to amprolium again?

I have some too but Chrissy might be closer.

So ducks have 3 pools...3!!! But they don't understand the water buckets are for drinking

I was going to say as others have if it starts it can be an ongoing problem. Try upping everyone's protien.
My. Instructions when we had turkeys were no red and blue in the backyard. I had a green robe for emergencies when I was away.
For future when there is swelling try aspirin it helps.
I have some too but Chrissy might be closer.
Thank you! I found another almost empty package of it. This is day 2 and I have enough powder for 1 more day and maybe half of another. Just 1 day into treatment and the little pullet was showing signs of recovery. She is almost back to normal today. After the sulfadimethoxine is gone, I'm going to put them back on treatment strength amprolium. Out of 27 chicks, the one pullet is the only one showing signs of illness. She was puffed up, just sitting in 1 spot, and sleeping.

Back
Top Bottom