California - Northern

I have a concern, I have been letting my hens out for the better part of the day.... the last few days we had bad weather so I didn't let them out... today we were out with them and I checked their food abdominal water.... to my surprise, the one Feeder was empty, I guess they had to eat their food because they couldn't get out.... So now what? Are they getting enough nutrients eating outside? Should I keep them in more?

Also, laying pellets only have 16% protein, I'm going to get laying pellets when we go to town.... I was just thinking that higher protein would be better...

The layer feed is fine now. They can use more protein in the winter when they are not laying as much and molting.

Outside, they likely get plenty of "protein".(bugs and etc.)

The layer feed is fine now. They can use more protein in the winter when they are not laying as much and molting.

Outside, they likely get plenty of "protein".(bugs and etc.)

I have had them on 18% protein All Flock, I was going to buy Laying Pellets next... is that good?

Yes, purina has a new formulation of their layeena that is good. The All flock is good for winter.

okay, I'll get that.... but we're headed into Fall and Winter...should I just keep them on the All Flock? I'm not sure if the All Flock is good enough for them when they lay...

okay, I'll get that.... but we're headed into Fall and Winter...should I just keep them on the All Flock? I'm not sure if the All Flock is good enough for them when they lay...

Yes, all flock will work--If they are starting to lay now, they will usually keep laying through the first winter. Layer feed has more than calcium in it but you can get good results by letting them have all flock and free choice calcium.

I would give them layeena until November since they will likely slow down then and then give them all flock.

Yes, all flock will work--If they are starting to lay now, they will usually keep laying through the first winter. Layer feed has more than calcium in it but you can get good results by letting them have all flock and free choice calcium.

I would give them layeena until November since they will likely slow down then and then give them all flock.

Thank you so much for the information.... they haven't started laying yet but I'm sure it's not too far off....

Well I just moved from Tulare, which is part of the Central Valley (considered Southern CA) and moved 30 miles West to Lemoore and now according to AAA I'm in Northern CA.  So I guess the line could be drawn between Tulare & Kings County.

:)
Bridgette

I'm in Dinuba and that's some funny stuff right there lol.

Thank you so much for the information.... they haven't started laying yet but I'm sure it's not too far off....

Wait until they start laying to give them layer. Give them free choice calcium though. Some sources say that layer feed too early can cause laying problems--like stuck eggs.

It is a small risk but still a risk.

I'm in Dinuba and that's some funny stuff right there lol.

It reminds me of Yolo county being listed as being in the Bay Area for County workers. Sacramento county workers were in a different district, so they paid much less than those in Yolo County.

It has been changed now, thank goodness.

Back
Top Bottom