California - Northern

PLEASE HELP!

Show birds, feed, and coops were stolen from The Poultry Palace in Placerville, CA, last night!

I work at a little place called The Poultry Palace, in El Dorado County, CA. At the store we have a small indoor shop, which is locked up at night, and a area in the back with a 6 foot chainlink fence - inside the area, our hatchery pullets and a few of our show-quality breeders are kept. Last night somebody climbed the fence and stole two high-quality show Seramas, half of a box coop (they didn't realize it came unassembled in two boxes), and a bag of feed. This comes on the heels of the mysterious disappearance of another show quality rooster a month or so ago, and an old half-full feed bag that was being used to tie down a tent out front which was stolen in broad daylight sometime in the last two days.

We are desperate to find these birds. The feed and coops are replaceable (though we would like to have them back as well) but these birds are not. Here are images of the two birds taken last night. The Spangled male and Black female are the ones taken, though the frizzled male was found wandering the grounds this morning. I don't have pictures of the rooster taken last month, but he was a Silver True Ameraucana of a bit smaller than standard size.

If you know anything, anything at all, please contact me.
(Will soon be crossposting this to a bunch of other places)

PLEASE HELP!

Show birds, feed, and coops were stolen from The Poultry Palace in Placerville, CA, last night!

I work at a little place called The Poultry Palace, in El Dorado County, CA. At the store we have a small indoor shop, which is locked up at night, and a area in the back with a 6 foot chainlink fence - inside the area, our hatchery pullets and a few of our show-quality breeders are kept. Last night somebody climbed the fence and stole two high-quality show Seramas, half of a box coop (they didn't realize it came unassembled in two boxes), and a bag of feed. This comes on the heels of the mysterious disappearance of another show quality rooster a month or so ago, and an old half-full feed bag that was being used to tie down a tent out front which was stolen in broad daylight sometime in the last two days.

We are desperate to find these birds. The feed and coops are replaceable (though we would like to have them back as well) but these birds are not. Here are images of the two birds taken last night. The Spangled male and Black female are the ones taken, though the frizzled male was found wandering the grounds this morning. I don't have pictures of the rooster taken last month, but he was a Silver True Ameraucana of a bit smaller than standard size.

If you know anything, anything at all, please contact me.
(Will soon be crossposting this to a bunch of other places)
Make sure to check Craigslist every day! So sorry that happened!
somad.gif

PLEASE HELP! Show birds, feed, and coops were stolen from The Poultry Palace in Placerville, CA, last night! I work at a little place called The Poultry Palace, in El Dorado County, CA. At the store we have a small indoor shop, which is locked up at night, and a area in the back with a 6 foot chainlink fence - inside the area, our hatchery pullets and a few of our show-quality breeders are kept. Last night somebody climbed the fence and stole two high-quality show Seramas, half of a box coop (they didn't realize it came unassembled in two boxes), and a bag of feed. This comes on the heels of the mysterious disappearance of another show quality rooster a month or so ago, and an old half-full feed bag that was being used to tie down a tent out front which was stolen in broad daylight sometime in the last two days. We are desperate to find these birds. The feed and coops are replaceable (though we would like to have them back as well) but these birds are not. Here are images of the two birds taken last night. The Spangled male and Black female are the ones taken, though the frizzled male was found wandering the grounds this morning. I don't have pictures of the rooster taken last month, but he was a Silver True Ameraucana of a bit smaller than standard size. If you know anything, anything at all, please contact me. (Will soon be crossposting this to a bunch of other places)
Dang thieves! May the Great Rooster in the Sky poop on their heads every day.

FOR SALE:

3 Silkies: One rooster, two hens. Very good bloodlines (purchased directly from Sheri Minkner).
Asking $30 for all three.

These guys are very special to me, and I'll miss their personalities. We've even named all three, and that only makes it harder to sell them.

Chicken Joe, the rooster, is very protective of his hens. He is feared while everyone is free ranging, because he won't let other chickens within 5 feet of them. Chicken Joe is a Calico Splash variety Sizzle, and I was told by Sheri that he was a very new/uncommon color. The photo of him is a little outdated. He was recovering from being exposed to a feather-picker then, but now looks a little raggedy because of molting.
Pillow, is a mostly white hen, but as a chick she was Splash. Oddly enough, the splashes of color she used to have aren't there anymore. She was a good mother to her brood of chicks a few months ago (as all Silkies are
smile.png
), and did well in our County Fair.
Blondie is the tiny Buff hen. She is quite a busy-body (hence the lack of good photos). She loves water, and as a result, is almost always wet or covered in mud.

Please let me know if you are interested.
smile.png
I'll get recent photos this afternoon.

Also FOR SALE:

A black Wyandotte bantam hen. Getting on in age at 6 years old. Breeding quality, GOOD for showmanship/4-H and has been shown before. She lays well.
$15

d'Uccle/OEGB mix and pure OEGB. The mom is a d'Uccle OEGB mix, as well as one of the babies, and the other chick is a pure black OEGB.
FREE TO GOOD HOME.

I have a question regarding what to use as a substrate/bedding in my run this winter. What do you use as a substrate in your run? I have shavings in my run now (on top of dirt), but know those probably won't work well if we get the El Nino rains they are hoping for this winter. I have a fairly large run with chicken wire over the top. I am plan to cover it as well as possible with tarps. I have clay soil that does not drain well, and in heavy rain the water will sit on top of the soil. I'm intending to use straw this winter, but will it get moldy? How would I know if it gets moldy. I rent so pouring a slab isn't an option and I;d like to avoid anything heavy, like pea gravel, that I would need to remove if I move. Does anyone have any suggestions of what might work?

I have a question regarding what to use as a substrate/bedding in my run this winter.  What do you use as a substrate in your run?  I have shavings in my run now (on top of dirt), but know those probably won't work well if we get the El Nino rains they are hoping for this winter.  I have a fairly large run with chicken wire over the top.  I am plan to cover it as well as possible with tarps.  I have clay soil that does not drain well, and in heavy rain the water will sit on top of the soil.  I'm intending to usee straw this winter, but will it get moldy?  How would I know if it gets moldy.  I rent so pouring a slab isn't an option and I;d like to avoid anything heavy, like pea gravel, that I would need to remove if I move.  Does anyone have any suggestions of what might work?

I still use pine shavings through the winter but then again I compost so wet isn't as big a deal. My run is also covered with tarps but water gets where it wants to. I heard sand is also a good substrate. A friend in Michigan uses it in all his pens.
Attimus

I have a question regarding what to use as a substrate/bedding in my run this winter. What do you use as a substrate in your run? I have shavings in my run now (on top of dirt), but know those probably won't work well if we get the El Nino rains they are hoping for this winter. I have a fairly large run with chicken wire over the top. I am plan to cover it as well as possible with tarps. I have clay soil that does not drain well, and in heavy rain the water will sit on top of the soil. I'm intending to use straw this winter, but will it get moldy? How would I know if it gets moldy. I rent so pouring a slab isn't an option and I;d like to avoid anything heavy, like pea gravel, that I would need to remove if I move. Does anyone have any suggestions of what might work?

For what it's worth -- we use a pop-up canopy with legs buried in the soil (to prevent para-sailing) to cover our little coop - our coop run is half paver stone bricks and the other half is dry dirt where the chickens like to dust-bathe when we don't let them out in downpours. If a run needs to be covered there are many canopy styles made in rectangle shapes and all sorts of sizes. It's also nice to go out in the rain to collect eggs under the popup canopy. We've also used long treated 2x4s and cinderblocks to divert rain water from flowing into the coop floor. Another option (since you can't pour slab) is to use 12x12" paver stone in lieu of a slab foundation. The paver stone floor will raise the coop off the ground plus using 2x4's and/or cinderblocks to divert rain water plus using a popup canopy are all non permanent structures. Then use whatever bedding you decide on. If it is possible we want our contractor to build a porch over our newest coop in preparation for El Nino. GL!

I have clay soil as well, so I have used straw for many years to build a substrate of straw that sits on top of the slime. I just keep adding to it during the winter and clean it out in spring. It makes great planting soil. Nothing else has worked here. (Gravel, sand, shavings etc). Contrary to what I have read online I have had zero problems with straw. Over 50 years of using it.

Walt

Back
Top Bottom