California - Northern

Quote: I think my friend has a bottle of that she used for her rabbits. Thanks!
smile.png

Turns out she doesn't have Polyvisol, but she has Pedialyte. I think those are relatively the same?

Turns out she doesn't have Polyvisol, but she has Pedialyte. I think those are relatively the same?
I'm sorry but PolyViSol is a multi vitamin and is a thicker brown liquid vs Pedialyte which is an electrolyte for re-hydration. They are not at all the same, nor are they interchangable. You can get PolyViSol in the childrens vitamin section at Walmart for about $8.

I think my friend has a bottle of that she used for her rabbits. Thanks!
smile.png

I started to give chickens a drop on the side tip of their beak at first and waited for their tongue to lap up the drip - it can be messy wasting 2 or 3 drops before the chicken finally licks up the annoying drop. Later my chickens acquired a taste for the vitamin and will lap up the drop out of the palm of our hand or straight from the eye-dropper. The only thing to remember is that Poly-vi-sol no-iron is a potent children's vitamin so one drop is all a chicken will need. It's messy to give vitamins this way until the hens get used to it but after a while they start looking for the drops that fell on the floor! My hens come running to me on vitamin day!

I started to give chickens a drop on the side tip of their beak at first and waited for their tongue to lap up the drip - it can be messy wasting 2 or 3 drops before the chicken finally licks up the annoying drop. Later my chickens acquired a taste for the vitamin and will lap up the drop out of the palm of our hand or straight from the eye-dropper. The only thing to remember is that Poly-vi-sol no-iron is a potent children's vitamin so one drop is all a chicken will need. It's messy to give vitamins this way until the hens get used to it but after a while they start looking for the drops that fell on the floor! My hens come running to me on vitamin day!
Would this be good as a supplement for a healthy serama chick? I don't want to mess with a good thing but if it will help make her immune system stronger in the upcoming winter (she is indoors but I'd like to take her out to places with me) & live a bit longer, I'd like that. They just seem so delicate.

Would this be good as a supplement for a healthy serama chick? I don't want to mess with a good thing but if it will help make her immune system stronger in the upcoming winter (she is indoors but I'd like to take her out to places with me) & live a bit longer, I'd like that. They just seem so delicate.

I know many breeders raising sickly chicks use a Poly-Vi-Sol no-iron drop up to 3x a day to revive the chicks but for a healthy chick I wouldn't do more than once a week. You can also get actual chicken vitamins to add either to feed or water. We add a little Rooster Booster to our chickens' regular feed daily. There is a Rooster Booster product that also includes a worming formula so there are all kinds of regular chicken supplements. I use Poly-Vi-Sol more for illness, injury, skinny brooding Silkies, and heavily molting birds for added supplementation when their appetite or health is lacking. But a drop of Poly-Vi-Sol once a week certainly won't hurt a healthy chick. I wouldn't exceed dosing a chick once a week unless the bird is ill or injured. It's just that Poly-Vi-Sol is a human infant strength and a chicken will not need more than one drop but it's good stuff. It's just another form of vitamin and is easier for me to know that each of my chickens have an adequate exposure to vitamins instead of guessing how much vitamin supplements they ate in their feed or drank in their water.

I know many breeders raising sickly chicks use a Poly-Vi-Sol no-iron drop up to 3x a day to revive the chicks but for a healthy chick I wouldn't do more than once a week. You can also get actual chicken vitamins to add either to feed or water. We add a little Rooster Booster to our chickens' regular feed daily. There is a Rooster Booster product that also includes a worming formula so there are all kinds of regular chicken supplements. I use Poly-Vi-Sol more for illness, injury, skinny brooding Silkies, and heavily molting birds for added supplementation when their appetite or health is lacking. But a drop of Poly-Vi-Sol once a week certainly won't hurt a healthy chick. I wouldn't exceed dosing a chick once a week unless the bird is ill or injured. It's just that Poly-Vi-Sol is a human infant strength and a chicken will not need more than one drop but it's good stuff. It's just another form of vitamin and is easier for me to know that each of my chickens have an adequate exposure to vitamins instead of guessing how much vitamin supplements they ate in their feed or drank in their water.
goodpost.gif

Right on! Thanks, hun!
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom