California - Northern

Processing is never easy. I just prefer doing it myself because I know the process was done as humanely as possible. When I sell them or give them away, I have no control on the process.

I have to agree with you ,, Well stated
thumbsup.gif

I am in Northern California, SF Bay area. Anything south of the Golden Gate is Southern for us.
I am looking for meat pigeon breeding stock and was told to post here. Anyone know where I can get some? I don't mind having them shipped as we have a little local post office that is used to receiving animals.
Thank you
Myriam
You can email me directly as well at [email protected]

I am in Northern California, SF Bay area. Anything south of the Golden Gate is Southern for us.
I am looking for meat pigeon breeding stock and was told to post here. Anyone know where I can get some? I don't mind having them shipped as we have a little local post office that is used to receiving animals.
Thank you
Myriam
You can email me directly as well at [email protected]
I know someone in Byron who raises pigeons for meat. I'll email you their phone number.

Hi there! Newbie here. Unfortunately I don't raise chickens (yet-haven't made the plunge), so please bear with me as I know nothing about them. I am looking for free rehoming for 3 roosters in the Sacramento Area. (I am not yet eligible to post on the BST Animals in Need of Free Re-homing forum). Because of her financial and difficult living situation, my mother's friend will need to find a new home for her 3 roosters. She is close to them, like family. Obviously she wants them to go to a good environment. I will get more information from her but wanted to scout out the potential availability of a new home for them. What information would you need to determine if you want to or could take them? I know they are a few years old and three different breeds, I believe. Any information you could forward to me so that I could ask her would be great. Thank you so much!

Hi there!  Newbie here.  Unfortunately I don't raise chickens (yet-haven't made the plunge), so please bear with me as I know nothing about them.  I am looking for free rehoming for 3 roosters in the Sacramento Area. (I am not yet eligible to post on the BST Animals in Need of Free Re-homing forum).  Because of her financial and difficult living situation, my mother's friend will need to find a new home for her 3 roosters.  She is close to them, like family.  Obviously she wants them to go to a good environment. I will get more information from her but wanted to scout out the potential availability of a new home for them.  What information would you need to determine if you want to or could take them?  I know they are a few years old and three different breeds, I believe.  Any information you could forward to me so that I could ask her would be great.  Thank you so much!

Whenever you are rehoming cockerels, the more information provided the better. To start, you'll want to list their breeds and exact ages. Next, describe their personalities and list their names (if they don't have names, make some up - the cuter and more charming the better). Really go all out, describe their favorite activities or treats (Does one seem to enjoy lying in the sun and dust bathing more than the others? Does another go completely crazy for a certain treat, e.g. raspberries or mealworms? Make sure to mention any specific traits or quirks they have! Make them seem like very fun and likable animals, full of character!). Mention that they are for pet use only. This won't deter all people looking for meat fowl, but it will chase away some of the more honest ones. Now, and this is the most important part, get a very, very good picture of them. No one is going to look at a picture that looks like it was taken with a potato and think "Wow! What a handsome bird, I've got to have him!" Enlist the help of a friend with a passion for photography if you have one. Don't take a picture in an ugly setting either - put him somewhere pretty. Background does impart a lot of character to the image!

Once you've got it all written up and the pictures are taken, put them everywhere! Craigslist, local poultry Facebook pages, here on BYC, and of course print out some physical posters and put them up everywhere that has a bulletin board, especially feed stores. The more exposure the better.

Now, this advice only applies if they are non-aggressive. If they are aggressive, there's not really any point trying to rehome them. Even if someone does take them, once they find out they are aggressive they'll likely be regimes again and probably eventually butchered - no point involving someone else in the process if the same outcome is inevitable.

Thank you QueenMisha! I appreciate all of the help. This is great advice! In attempting to search and read the forums myself, with terms such as pullets, flock of EEs, BCM roos, it's been a bit confusing. I'm assuming they may not be breeding stock as I'm sure they're older than 4? Thanks so much!!! -R

Thank you QueenMisha!  I appreciate all of the help.  This is great advice!  In attempting to search and read the forums myself, with terms such as pullets, flock of EEs, BCM roos, it's been a bit confusing.  I'm assuming they may not be breeding stock as I'm sure they're older than 4?  Thanks so much!!!  -R

Cocks can breed well into their teens if they live that long. I've heard stories of fertile twenty year old broodcocks from certain gamefowl keepers, although whether or not I believe them is another story.

Whether or not they are useful for breeding depends on their quality and what the buyer wants. If they are from quality bloodlines (bred to the APA Standard of Perfection) they will probably be rather easy to rehome, when advertised as quality breeding birds. But if they are simple hatchery stock fowl, they are only of use in breeding crossbreeds and in hobby operations, provided they have some desired quality, such as beautiful plumage or being of a high production laying breed.

Hi there! Newbie here. Unfortunately I don't raise chickens (yet-haven't made the plunge), so please bear with me as I know nothing about them. I am looking for free rehoming for 3 roosters in the Sacramento Area. (I am not yet eligible to post on the BST Animals in Need of Free Re-homing forum). Because of her financial and difficult living situation, my mother's friend will need to find a new home for her 3 roosters. She is close to them, like family. Obviously she wants them to go to a good environment. I will get more information from her but wanted to scout out the potential availability of a new home for them. What information would you need to determine if you want to or could take them? I know they are a few years old and three different breeds, I believe. Any information you could forward to me so that I could ask her would be great. Thank you so much!

what part of Sacramento if your on the east side closer to El Dorado County there is a homesteader page on Facebook or you could post them on the 530 Poultry Facebook Page . I never have a issue getting homes for mine . Of course people like rare and Penedesenca are rare but many people post Roosters on there and have luck. As long as your not selling them you are usually ok.

Back
Top Bottom