California - Northern

Yes, it is divisive--I just share information though. We all do what we think is best for the chickens and should not get worked up about it.

They are your chickens, not mine after all.

Yep, that's what it boils down to, but I'm a Libra and making a decision is just not that easy LOL! Every argument and counter-argument all sound so plausible.

Interesting article @ronott1 . It sounds like basically the damage has been done now, i.e. the spread of stronger strains of Marek's due to the vaccine. The scientist states that they don't recommend abandonment of the imperfect vaccines though. It seems like a catch 22 at this point...if you don't vaccinate, you're putting your birds at risk for contracting the deadly strains of Marek's, but if you do vaccinate you might be contributing to the creation of more deadly strains.

It seems to me that the author of the study is suggesting you should just vaccinate & hope that they come up with a better vaccine soon that gives the chickens true immunity.

Interesting article @ronott1 . It sounds like basically the damage has been done now, i.e. the spread of stronger strains of Marek's due to the vaccine. The scientist states that they don't recommend abandonment of the imperfect vaccines though. It seems like a catch 22 at this point...if you don't vaccinate, you're putting your birds at risk for contracting the deadly strains of Marek's, but if you do vaccinate you might be contributing to the creation of more deadly strains.

It seems to me that the author of the study is suggesting you should just vaccinate & hope that they come up with a better vaccine soon that gives the chickens true immunity.

I read an interesting science article a while ago. There's no money in developing or improving vaccines for poultry diseases. Poultry industry considers chickens an easily replaced commodity. If a poultry farm is wiped out, it takes only 21 days to hatch a whole new flock to replace the lost one. It's cheaper to replace with new chickens then to prevent a disease in chickens that don't have an industrial lifespan much over 2 years anyway either as egg-layers or meat birds. That isn't how private breeders feel but the science seems to target industry and not the private sector.

Hoping for some help... Been reading other posts and getting information overload. I have one chicken that has had diarrhea for a couple weeks. It is like dark yellow mustard, very wet and smooth. We started treating with Corrid, but there hasn't been a change. Now it looks like a second chicken is beginning to get it too. I'm thinking we should treat for worms, but don't know where to start. There isn't any worms visible in the poop. Is there a "right" medicine to use? Should I be doing something else?

Something that sounds like it's spreading and your current treatment is apparently not working, have a poop sample tested. I have a vet nearby that I can drop off samples to test for cocci or worms and he calls with the results and appropriate medicine to use.

Something that sounds like it's spreading and your current treatment is apparently not working, have a poop sample tested. I have a vet nearby that I can drop off samples to test for cocci or worms and he calls with the results and appropriate medicine to use.
I seem to get a few birds that poop like this but mostly after they have had too many vegetable treats. Its usually gone in a day or so if I cut back on the scraps.

I get slimey yellow brown poo if they have been scared or over stressed too.

On a happier note I have 3 chicks out now with lots more pips and a couple of them zipping. going to make for an interesting night as the little buggers flop around disturbing each other. I really need a better quality incubator/hatching system. Waiting on my first Pita Chick out. Should be sometime tonight or tomorrow. 2 Delawares and 1 Silkie

First one out is under the heat plate but was 10-14 hours ahead of the next chick so is completely fluffed. Doesnt seem too traumatized by being all alone at least not yet. The other 2 should be dry enough by morning to add to the brooder box.

Hey all,

I am located in Santa Clara County and I am wondering if anyone knows of a good source for organic feed. I can only find scratch, chick starter and layer. I would really love to find a place that sells organic feed for Turkeys as well as organic grains. If anyone knows of such a place within a 2-3 hour drive... I'd love to know about it.

Thanks

Hey all,

I am located in Santa Clara County and I am wondering if anyone knows of a good source for organic feed. I can only find scratch, chick starter and layer. I would really love to find a place that sells organic feed for Turkeys as well as organic grains. If anyone knows of such a place within a 2-3 hour drive... I'd love to know about it.

Thanks

I hope you find a place!

Modesto milling and Bar Ale may be available near you. If you go to their website, you can search for feed stores that sell their feed in your area.

Hi!
smile.png
I live in Mountain View, CA and I am wondering if anybody lives near me

Back
Top Bottom