California - Northern

I have to admit. I super new...10 weeks into Chickens that I bought at Jones Valley Feed. I did fall in love with the Lavender Orpingtons but I couldn't find any locally and I didn't want 15 of them.

There's a lady in Happy Valley who raises them. Can't think of her name right now, but occasionally she advertises on CL and she's legit - her chickens are healthy and well cared for. Every now and then she takes a handful.of roosters to the swap in Anderson at Eppersons and hers are the only ones that look like quality birds. (Don't buy birds there, as a rule.)

They are so nice. I guess they will just have to deal with the nest being disturbed by the garage door at night and the morning since they went to rebuilding it. I put the egg back in it when the female left. The male is now sitting the nest I suspect the female to return tonight. I was reading that the female incubates evening and night the male morning to evening. They are very pretty and I just love the sound they make as they take off and land. Even their cooing is wonderful. A little haunting but beautiful still.

Too bad there isn't a way to keep the garage partially open while they're nesting. They won't be nesting that long anyway. I'd park the car outdoors for 2 or 3 weeks to not disturb them. But that's just me and DH - we're crazy bird people!

Too bad there isn't a way to keep the garage partially open while they're nesting. They won't be nesting that long anyway. I'd park the car outdoors for 2 or 3 weeks to not disturb them. But that's just me and DH - we're crazy bird people!
Well she freaked and left the nest (and garage) as I closed the garage. Cant leave it open at night (too many cats in the neighborhood not to mention crime) I left it open for a long time for her to return but finally closed it within about 8 inches so they can get under if the want but I doubt they will. I think Ill put up an area on my porch where they can nest in future but I doubt it will work out here.

Well she freaked and left the nest (and garage) as I closed the garage. Cant leave it open at night (too many cats in the neighborhood not to mention crime) I left it open for a long time for her to return but finally closed it within about 8 inches so they can get under if the want but I doubt they will. I think Ill put up an area on my porch where they can nest in future but I doubt it will work out here.

Birds are fussy about their nest building. It's hard to move them once they decided on a spot. It's kinda sad but they'll find someplace else later. I think they mate for life don't they?

I heard Epperson's is a good place to sell any unwanted roosters or to get aged pullets. Why is it not good to get birds there?

I heard Epperson's is a good place to sell any unwanted roosters or to get aged pullets. Why is it not good to get birds there?

You might want to go check it out for yourself. Definitely a good place to sell any bird you want someone else to eat. But, personally. I couldn't take the condition a lot of the animals were in. There are maybe two people who sell there that I would trust if I wanted to bring something home for my flock (even after lengthy quarantine).

Really? I will have to go check it out. It's been probably 20 years since I've been out there. Heck, I was still going to Anderson Middle School. =)

Really? I will have to go check it out. It's been probably 20 years since I've been out there. Heck, I was still going to Anderson Middle School. =)

It's definitely interesting. I may be taking some roosters in this Saturday.... debating whether to sell them or process them ourselves, but they're definitely ready for "something" :)

Birds are fussy about their nest building. It's hard to move them once they decided on a spot. It's kinda sad but they'll find someplace else later. I think they mate for life don't they?
They do mate for life after leaving the nest last night there was someone in it this morning when I opened the door. I think Im going to switch to manual open and close of the door while they are there. I have food and water in the garage for them if I have to lock them in.

They do mate for life after leaving the nest last night there was someone in it this morning when I opened the door. I think Im going to switch to manual open and close of the door while they are there. I have food and water in the garage for them if I have to lock them in.

Boy, they are a real determined pair -- should make good parents.

BTW - got my two new Blue Breda pulllets today shipped from KS! Sweet docile breed. Like the Pita they are rare and have the same issues as PPs. I'm crossing my fingers these girls do well. Our Cuckoo Breda is doing well but she's still young too.

Cuckoo Breda

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom