California - Northern

Don't worry kim--the battery will work fine. The Genesis is designed for it. Here is a video:

The worst that will happen is the egg turner will stop--that won't be a problem though. they will turn about one less time in the day which won't hurt them. Yours will be one day from lock down at that time.

Thanks for the generator offer! It I have a problem with the battery backup, I will take the incubator to work with me.

Bye,

Ron
>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Ron, you are definitely a hatch-a-holic!
lol.png
And I'm glad.

I think the power outage is due to my Dorking curse. Every time I try to increase my flock, something bad happens.

Yellow House was just talking about the power going out during incubation. He liked your battery idea and said:
"By all means, if he can do that, go for it! However, yes, if the power goes out, the eggs can stand cool to an extent. It has happened to us on a couple of occasions. One evening I even took eggs out to go into the hatcher and got distracted. Not the following morning, but the one after, I saw them on the work bench and panicked. I ran outside and threw them under a broody game hen, and half of them hatched!

If you have to face a day without power:

1. Don't open the doors!!!!
  2. Depending on the type of incubator, wrap it in good blankets---be aware of all fire danger with the blankets should the power come back on!!!!! and do not plug the ventilation!
  3. Lot's of prayers to Saint Anthony
    fl.gif
    "

My husband is a General Building Contractor and is very possessive of his tools. I can't even use them without permission first. I asked to borrow one of his little generators for you. He wouldn't answer me, just had a blank stare on his face. So I guess that's a no.

Kim

Hi Kim(capayvalleychick)

Good news! 6 of the Dorking Eggs from Poultry Palace in Washington are developing
yesss.gif

That's not bad for shipped eggs. I hope we get a good Rooster from the hatch.

Ron

Out of a dozen? That is good to hear!
highfive.gif

I can't wait to see how they turn out, and with Dorkings it can be a long wait for them to mature.

I forgot to tell you that I will be busy all day on Sunday. It's Almond Festival and I'll be at the Guinda Grange, selling olive oil. Saturday, I'll be busy getting ready. Can I pick up the chicks on Monday?

I still don't know where you're putting all these chicks & chickens.
D.gif

Kim

The Battery backup for my Genesis worked
wee.gif

I talked to my daughter and she said the power had come on 15 minutes before I called. I had her check the temperature and it was right at 100 degrees(that is where it is supposed to be--the water weasel probe with the Brinsea spot check is close to 99.5 at that temp).

Here is a picture of the setup:

Day 18 and Lock Down is tomorrow
jumpy.gif
on Sunday.

Hi! A newbie here, just finishing up building a hen house. Excited to have chickens again, has been many years - glad to have found this site and am in the Sacramento area.

Hi! A newbie here, just finishing up building a hen house. Excited to have chickens again, has been many years - glad to have found this site and am in the Sacramento area.
welcome-byc.gif

Hi Natalie!

You have come to the right place! I grew up with chickens but did not have them for 35 years as an adult. Do you have chickens now? I am going to be hatching out quite a few this Spring. Right now I have: Dorkings, EE's and Partridge Rocks to sell. The EE's(Easter Eggers) are almost 11 weeks old and are ready to go outside(They are outside now) Two Pullets are for sale of those. The Dorkings and Partridge Rocks will be ready in 4 and 5 weeks.

I will be hatching out EO Marundo Basque hens for Easter. Later I will be hatching out Black Copper Marans and maybe Heritage RIR(Mohawk Line mixed with a mystery line from Florida--One of the top three flock in America according to the Heritage RIR thread starter).

Send a PM if you are interested.

Ron

Edited to correct name error

Last edited:
Happy Sunday
smile.png

It has been a productive weekend of hatching. The hatch of Kims(Capayvalleychick) SG Dorkings is complete. 20 were set. 11 developed. 11 went to lockdown. 11 pipped and 11 hatched
jumpy.gif

I hope some are good!

Ron

Back
Top Bottom