California - Northern

Happy Easter to all of you
yippiechickie.gif
or happy chocolate Bunny day

My Easter hatch is finished. 11 of 15 set or 11 or 13 developed have hatched. This is really good for shipped eggs. It seems I have a good mail route for shipped eggs but not for shipped chicks. Oh well.

Pictures of EO Marraduna(Basque Hens) chicks:

I really like this one. Poses for the camera:

Kind of a group shot. The poser hogs the camera, but so cute:

After the photo session they are snuggling up under the ecoglow:

Four Cream Legbar eggs need to go into the hatcher today Woo Hoo!
Congrats!! Nice hatch from shipped eggs. Exciting. Hope your CL hatch is better than mine!

Cali Chick,
If you don't have any older, experienced poultry kids in your 4-H club, I suggest you talk to some other clubs. The older kids are usually quite knowledgable and happy to give a demonstration. They get credit in their 4-H book so it's a win win. Check with the county 4-H office for contacts at other clubs in your area. Also, watching poultry showing at a fair is a great way to pick up some tips and meet some people to learn from.
Good luck

Cali Chick,
If you don't have any older, experienced poultry kids in your 4-H club, I suggest you talk to some other clubs. The older kids are usually quite knowledgable and happy to give a demonstration. They get credit in their 4-H book so it's a win win. Check with the county 4-H office for contacts at other clubs in your area. Also, watching poultry showing at a fair is a great way to pick up some tips and meet some people to learn from.
Good luck

My son plans to do 4-H showmanship this year with our regular chickens. I think he wants to use his "buddy" Rocky a PBR. She follows my son around the yard and sometimes he just carries her around-LOL! Who needs a dog when they have pet chickens, right?

Nobody in our 4H club has show quality chickens that I know of. But, I'm not sure any of the kids even want to go that route. I would like to get some of our silkies into shows, but at a higher level than 4-H. I might see if I could give Sheri some help and learn some pointers from her. Many of her birds have taken BOS, BOV, etc over the last few years in Stockton and other shows.

Good luck to your son. Having a tame chicken will make it easier for him. He should practice making it walk on a table. He should also be able to answer questions about his chicken.
Great experience!

Tried to watch your video Ron but couldn't get it going. I am so computer illiterate sometimes. I probably needed to say yes when it asked me to join them on facebook for it....?????? Anyway......congratulations.!!!!!!

Oh, sorry about that. As the broadcaster I don not see the Facebook prompt. You just click to not join. You can log in with face book to leave messages but you don't need to login to see the video stream.

I have hatched two. I don't know about the other two. I won a 4+ auction for Cream Legbars and got 6 eggs. 4 of them developed. I have to wait until they are completely fluffed up, but one has chipmunk markings and the other does not. The Chipmunk one would be a Pullet and the other one would be a Cockerel.

Cream Legbars are Auto Sexing, so should have different markings and breed true.

Tried to watch your video Ron but couldn't get it going. I am so computer illiterate sometimes. I probably needed to say yes when it asked me to join them on facebook for it....?????? Anyway......congratulations.!!!!!!

I shows up live here at work and you can see the empty shell where the second chick hatched at midnight.

After I see if the last two will hatch, I will move the camera to the brooder.

It tells me it's not online. Is it me or my iPhone without Java?

I wanna see them!

Last edited:
I agree with Sandra, I always get a kick out of the So Cal news people that say something happened in No.Cal and they are talking Fresno, or San Jose, as though there is nothing farther North. We are just south of Redding, in Cottonwood, yes Redding is in the center of CA East and West, but a nice 1 1/2 hour drive has you in Oregon. I would put the line at about Sacramento/San Fran area.

Back
Top Bottom