California-Southern

Blacksmiths corner in bellflower sells renew poultry, is that what you guys are talking about?

You are very informative Sylvester, thank you. Of course, the Brahma already comes to me when I approach the coop and willingly lets me pick her up.
hmm.png
so this seems like a lose/lose.
Our Dom came to me when I came to the brooder. But then she came to my DH too. Some breeds don't necessarily bond to any one person but just happen to be outgoing curious birds that like any human company. I'd like to think my Dom liked me best LOL but then she was just as cuddly with my DH too. Just the nature of the breed.

Well on the positive angle your Brahma will be human trained and friendly if you decide to rehome her. It always makes rehoming easy when the birds are approachable. I think Brahmas are a favourite and easy to home because of how seemingly gentle they are for such a large breed - pretty too. I came close to getting a bantam Buff Brahma a couple years ago until I found they weren't good layers - however, good broodies like most bantams are.

If you keep your Brahma she'll be your only LF. At age 18 mos to 3 years a hen matures so watch her behavior around the bantams. This is why I try to get chicken pullets in same breed pairs so one won't be odd man out and has a "buddy." I had to learn as I go. We had 50+ chickens on my folks' farm and I learned a lot about feed and care from my Mom. However I never had a utility chicken as a pet until I had kids of my own and we were gifted a lone NHR - wasn't fair to her to be the only chicken in the yard - after all they are flock birds but we and she fumbled through the arrangement.

Good luck whatever your choice. You can PM me if you come up with other questions.

Smiles
smile.png

Last edited:
Actually, I can't wait for them to grow up; I know they're going to be so beautiful!

Awful Waffles used to be just Waffles... She has earned her name by walking on her sisters at every opportunity, and doing more than her fair share of "redistributing" mulch in the garden, AND because she hasn't figured out how to drink from the nipple waterer like a civilized chicken- she kind of attacks it as viciously as possible.

Either APA Ameraucanas and/or EEs are just the kookiest, spookiest, klutziest, chattiest, jitteriest breed I've ever had. My friend and I have both and we agree that they are the sweetest birds in the flock for all their seemingly immature antics. They are a slower maturing breed but ours turned out to be the flock's barnyard alert, predator savvy, cat-chasing fowl of the flock. Of all the breeds we have including the Silkies, she is the gentlest, easiest to approach and handle, and she LOVES to carry on a conversation with us. I wouldn't mind an all-Ameraucana flock if they didn't chatter so much. It's so embarrassing that she talks so loud. Someone described their Ameraucana as a "helicopter parent" and that really seems to describe them. But for all their running and jumping and bumping into things they don't fly out of the yard and stay inside the fence. Kooky - yet gentle and non-combative with flockmates - she'd rather run than squabble. OurFlyBabies.com keeps them because they accept orphaned chicks or injured birds into their fold willingly. Hard to find another breed that will do that.

Either APA Ameraucanas and/or EEs are just the kookiest, spookiest, klutziest, chattiest, jitteriest breed I've ever had. My friend and I have both and we agree that they are the sweetest birds in the flock for all their seemingly immature antics. They are a slower maturing breed but ours turned out to be the flock's barnyard alert, predator savvy, cat-chasing fowl of the flock. Of all the breeds we have including the Silkies, she is the gentlest, easiest to approach and handle, and she LOVES to carry on a conversation with us. I wouldn't mind an all-Ameraucana flock if they didn't chatter so much. It's so embarrassing that she talks so loud. Someone described their Ameraucana as a "helicopter parent" and that really seems to describe them. But for all their running and jumping and bumping into things they don't fly out of the yard and stay inside the fence. Kooky - yet gentle and non-combative with flockmates - she'd rather run than squabble. OurFlyBabies.com keeps them because they accept orphaned chicks or injured birds into their fold willingly. Hard to find another breed that will do that.

That's all good to know! Waffles is sweet, but she's been the fastest-growing of our girls (I think she hatched earlier than the others - arrived with wing feathers already growing!), and she uses her size to get what she wants - usually a good spot on my lap. It will be interesting to see what happens when the others overtake her size and she becomes the smallest! It is true that she's the quickest to notice and point out danger, and usually leads the flock when moving from place to place.

In short, I love her very much! (and I can't wait for her to get her grown up feathers so I'll know what she looks like! so excited!!!)

That's all good to know!  Waffles is sweet, but she's been the fastest-growing of our girls (I think she hatched earlier than the others - arrived with wing feathers already growing!), and she uses her size to get what she wants - usually a good spot on my lap.  It will be interesting to see what happens when the others overtake her size and she becomes the smallest!  It is true that she's the quickest to notice and point out danger, and usually leads the flock when moving from place to place. 

In short, I love her very much!  (and I can't wait for her to get her grown up feathers so I'll know what she looks like!  so excited!!!)

Waffles looks similar to one of my EEs, Bocktoven, who seems to be one of the slower growers. My Australorp runt is a hair bigger than Bocktoven now. It was hard to tell if Bocktoven would end up with muffs when she was a chick. She had a slightly fuzzier cheek than the other EE, Chickovsky. She's definitely sporting a small muff now. Both EEs looked very different as chicks, but now that they've got their grown up feathers, their coloring and feather patterning looks very similar. I can hardly tell which is which when they're out in the yard unless I get a distinct view of their faces and neck.

Waffles looks similar to one of my EEs, Bocktoven, who seems to be one of the slower growers. My Australorp runt is a hair bigger than Bocktoven now. It was hard to tell if Bocktoven would end up with muffs when she was a chick. She had a slightly fuzzier cheek than the other EE, Chickovsky. She's definitely sporting a small muff now. Both EEs looked very different as chicks, but now that they've got their grown up feathers, their coloring and feather patterning looks very similar. I can hardly tell which is which when they're out in the yard unless I get a distinct view of their faces and neck.

Bocktoven! I love it! Would love to see a picture of her.

I do hope that Waffles grows muffs - they're so adorable! She had fluffy cheeks in her first few weeks, but they've disappeared as she feathers out.

Bocktoven!  I love it!  Would love to see a picture of her.

I do hope that Waffles grows muffs - they're so adorable!  She had fluffy cheeks in her first few weeks, but they've disappeared as she feathers out. 

That happened a little with Bocktoven too, but she has them! As you wish......

Bocktoven (L) and Chickovsky (R) couldn't look more different at about 2weeks old:

The flock at about 4 weeks old, except for the BR, who is about 1.5-2 weeks older. L to R: Bocktoven, Mary Poopins, Chickovsky and Barred-Rock Obama.

About 7 weeks old. Chickovsky (L), Bocktoven (R) and Mary Poopins (bottom)

These last two were taken yesterday. It's so hard to get Bocktoven to stay still for a good face and muff shot!

Back
Top Bottom