California-Southern

You have a pretty sizeable establishment and vaccinating is understandable for you. True that vaccines are costly and only come in "bulk" but if I could be certain there's one that will absolutely 100% work I would buy it in a heartbeat. A vaccine co-op sounds neat but in my suburban area there wouldn't be enough owners to "share" especially since the people I know always seem to be at different points of raising their flock -- some are in chick stage, others in juvenile stage, others in pullet/cockerel stage, yet others with adult or aging birds. I just resort to going to my vet for everything poultry. He used to actually work in the poultry industry with meat and layer chickens so has a lot of medical knowledge and I help him learn about the pet aspects of chicken keeping. He wanted to show me how to shove a syringe down my Silkie's throat and I politely squeezed the contents into my palm and my Silkie came running up to lap up every tiny drop with her little tongue. We're learning a lot from each other
smile.png

UrbanFarmOC and I have shared vaccines. It's tough, though, since we live 20 mins away from each other. We can either split the vaccine and only mix 1/2 of it (a tricky thing to do with no scientific scales around) or hurry to do our birds and hope we make it to the other's house on time. For the Marek's, we did the first option. For Pox, we decided against sharing.

UrbanFarmOC and I have shared vaccines. It's tough, though, since we live 20 mins away from each other. We can either split the vaccine and only mix 1/2 of it (a tricky thing to do with no scientific scales around) or hurry to do our birds and hope we make it to the other's house on time. For the Marek's, we did the first option. For Pox, we decided against sharing.

Yes, distance is another factor about vaccine co-op. For all our vaccinations the dam* avian flu will probably be the beast that does us in!

UrbanFarmOC and I have shared vaccines.  It's tough, though, since we live 20 mins away from each other.  We can either split the vaccine and only mix 1/2 of it (a tricky thing to do with no scientific scales around) or hurry to do our birds and hope we make it to the other's house on time.  For the Marek's, we did the first option.  For Pox, we decided against sharing.  

I think sharing would be easier and more feasible in the future with more planning. Right now we're in "learn as you go" mode. Additional option for sharing vaccines is for participating parties to travel with the chickens to an agreed-upon location and vaccinate there or in you car. Of course, there are limitations and obstacles in all possible options. It wouldn't be feasible for you or I to travel with our birds now that our backyard flocks have more than doubled from the original 4.

mareks is the toughest to share as its only good for an hour or so after you mix it.

best to prepare birds first mix vaccine in a central location,

once you have the vaccine drawn up its fast to give. two people can easily do 10 chicks in 3 or 4 mins

As the vaccine is best used on day olds so the easiest way to coordinate is a hatch-along.

mareks is the toughest to share as its only good for an hour or so after you mix it.

best to prepare birds first mix vaccine in a central location,

once you have the vaccine drawn up its fast to give. two people can easily do 10 chicks in 3 or 4 mins

As the vaccine is best used on day olds so the easiest way to coordinate is a hatch-along.

The Marek's is not really that expensive when self-administered (with some careful guidance on "how-to"), even if it's not possible to share the costs with someone else; it's way better than the loss of time and raising birds if they die from Marek's at a later point.
It's the shipping expense that I hate, so I buy in bulk when they are on sale and store in the frig as they have a nice long shelf life unopened.

Speaking to your other post re: boosters, there have been discussions between myself, my vet and the manufacturer as to the likely benefits of a booster within about 4 weeks of the first dose. With a little planning, boosters could also be coordinated with new hatches to maximize opening up a new vial.

So sorry to hear about your losses due to neglect of a caretaker.

I think sharing would be easier and more feasible in the future with more planning. Right now we're in "learn as you go" mode. Additional option for sharing vaccines is for participating parties to travel with the chickens to an agreed-upon location and vaccinate there or in you car. Of course, there are limitations and obstacles in all possible options. It wouldn't be feasible for you or I to travel with our birds now that our backyard flocks have more than doubled from the original 4.

really cute avatar!
Maybe you've already answered this question - what type of chicken is that?

really cute avatar!
Maybe you've already answered this question - what type of chicken is that?

Thanks! That's an Appenzeller Spitzhauben. Unfortunately she died a couple of weeks ago from wet pox. She was very smart, curious, loads of personality, tame, sweet, AND gorgeous. I only had her for a few months, but I already love the breed and would recommend it.

Back
Top Bottom