California-Southern

I live in Buena Park, near Knotts Berry Farm, I'm gonna start a small coop for chickens. The lady at city hall hasn't given me a direct answer if I can or can't have em. I also have a cabin up at Lake Isabella where I have 13 gunieas. I am thinking of getting a incubator for a hobby. Can I keep it in the house or r there any smells to it?

I just started with a bator, but I don't think keeping an incubator indoors for hatching smells. Of course, keeping the chicks and their brooder indoors will, but it won't be too bad while they're smaller and with proper cleaning and ventilation. However, the dust and dander can be obnoxious after 1.5-2 weeks, IMO and IME.
1f61d.png
After 2 weeks, I keep my chicks outside on the patio. Or if I get chicks in the summer, I keep them outside the whole time to minimize mess and dust in the house. (Of course I make sure they are secure from predators.)

Have you tried to see if BP's city ordinances are online? They are a matter of public record and should be available to you to research either online, or wherever the ordinances are maintained for public access.

ETA: Did quick search for you. Here's the code on the keeping of birds:
http://qcode.us/codes/buenapark/view.php?topic=6-6_22-6_22_110&frames=on
Definition of "bird": http://qcode.us/codes/buenapark/view.php?topic=6-6_04-6_04_040&frames=on
City of BP defines "fowl" as bird kept for consumption.

So, by my reading of the code, it seems like BP will allow up to 10 mature birds provided coop is 50ft from dwelling and 10ft from property lines.

Last edited:
I live in Buena Park, near Knotts Berry Farm, I'm gonna start a small coop for chickens. The lady at city hall hasn't given me a direct answer if I can or can't have em. I also have a cabin up at Lake Isabella where I have 13 gunieas. I am thinking of getting a incubator for a hobby. Can I keep it in the house or r there any smells to it?

You shouls be able to have chickens. Knotts has chickens running around there picknick area. I have baby chicks who are just gettin there feathers in. Ive had them in the house since they were two days old. I keep them in a bunny pen. Change the bedding once a week. I did use hay shavings but after a trip to the feed store i went for the wood pellets they use in horse stalls. OMG i dont even know they are in the house half the time. It didnt start to smell until today since i havnt changed it in a week and a day now. And its not a horrible smell. I mean doesnt smell good. But its not like gas mask smell.

I meant does the incubator smell? I would like to put it in the house in my office. I don't really have room in my garage and I feel if I put it in the garage I won't get as much enjoyment watching it. That might sound stupid to a seasoned hatcher but I think watching the eggs roll back in forth would be relaxing. I am looking at those brisea models. I think if I got the 100 model o could find others in my area that would want to hatch eggs.

I meant does the incubator smell? I would like to put it in the house in my office. I don't really have room in my garage and I feel if I put it in the garage I won't get as much enjoyment watching it. That might sound stupid to a seasoned hatcher but I think watching the eggs roll back in forth would be relaxing. I am looking at those brisea models. I think if I got the 100 model o could find others in my area that would want to hatch eggs.

Good for you! Bottom line...if there's a smell, there's a huge problem
1f44d.png

Incubators don't smell, no. I mean, maybe like plastic, that's about it.

Brinsea's the best you can get, I have a Mini and an Octagon 20DX and I wouldn't have any other 'bator.

Did you start with the mini and then graduated to the bigger model? That is my fear. If I get a small one I see they sell eggs in 30 batches... I keep justifying getting the bigger model ha ha ! But I think this would be a fun hobby and very satisfying.

I had my gunieas in the house for a while and u r right once they start flapping their wings the dust went everywhere! I will have to make room in the garage for my hatchlings.. But my car has a cloth top and last time my car had a larger of sawdust dust. I am considering my options. Thanks so much for your input.

Did you start with the mini and then graduated to the bigger model? That is my fear. If I get a small one I see they sell eggs in 30 batches... I keep justifying getting the bigger model ha ha ! But I think this would be a fun hobby and very satisfying.

Yep, started with the Mini, and when I saw the 20 at a thrift store, and in great condition (with turning cradle + candler included) for being such a steal ($150), I just had to get it. Now I'm looking at wanting a nice new 40 Advance, but I've yet to figure out where to pull the money for something that nice from.

I had my gunieas in the house for a while and u r right once they start flapping their wings the dust went everywhere! I will have to make room in the garage for my hatchlings.. But my car has a cloth top and last time my car had a larger of sawdust dust. I am considering my options. Thanks so much for your input.

Speaking of experience ..... Your garage will never be the same
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom