California-Southern

Ohooh are you up where they do the music and summer camps?

Yes we are
big_smile.png
There are several camps down the highway from us! And many in the area! One of them even has a POOL...below ground!!! Right in the middle of the woods! We are a bit out from lake arrowhead so its pretty quite where we live...LOVE it! I am a teacher and love working with kids! I actually may consider getting a job during the summer break at one of the camps...always thought it would be fun!

Last edited:
Welcome Quilter...I'm new, too, and am excited to see someone else from Yucaipa. I love Cherry Valley Feed, there's where 1/2 my flock came from.
Glad you joined.

@chelsiemom I saw on your signature line you have PYGMY GOATS!!!! I am interested in getting a pair! Can you post some pics of yours and any advice? It will be my first time having goats. Won't be for a while yet but doing the research now
big_smile.png

@chelsiemom I saw on your signature line you have PYGMY GOATS!!!! I am interested in getting a pair! Can you post some pics of yours and any advice? It will be my first time having goats. Won't be for a while yet but doing the research now
big_smile.png

I am new to them, too. Have had them maybe 2 months, and I just got good advise on this forum...PYGMY HELP. I've seen several ads for selling some on Facebook Livestock Yucaipa...So far, enjoying them alot, they love hanging with my horses, but mine are timid and my neighbor keeps trying to entice them into her yard and stealing them!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1142453/pygmy-help#post_17778168

Last edited:

My biggest fear now is bears! During summer, a bear was in the backyard that butts up to mine, and he tore down the neighbor's fence. So my goats run in and out of my horse coral, all around my backyard and into the side neighbor's yard. So what's to stop a bear from getting them. Plus, the chickens, but they're behind my wrought iron fence, near the house. And am I providing bait for coyotes, bobcats and bears to come get my small dogs, too? Kind of panicked at the whole idea. They are hundreds of acres behind me that lead up into the San Bernardino mountains, Angelous Oaks.

I'm at 6th grade in an elementary district. We had SDC preschool at my site, but the program moved to another site this year. Not a single school in my district maintains chickens on site, but I heard there are a few public schools that have chickens...hoping to get info.

chelsiemom, thanks for the welcome. I'm glad to meet someone else who lives in Yucaipa! Unfortunately, I hate to spoil your day and reinforce your fears, but this afternoon something got into the chicken run and it looks like the rooster lost the battle to save his hens since he is missing and there is only a pile of feathers that we have found. We have another rooster but my husband and I are really sad because we watched him grow and become a rooster and chose him from several others. It's really sad to lose one of the animals we are responsible for. I think the hens will have to locked up in the coop until we can secure a better place for them. A wash runs down the back side of the property from Oak Glen and coyotes and all kinds of critters hang out there. I know there are bears up in Oak Glen which is just a few miles up the road so I share your concerns.

chelsiemom, thanks for the welcome.  I'm glad to meet someone else who lives in Yucaipa!  Unfortunately, I hate to spoil your day and reinforce your fears, but this afternoon something got into the chicken run and it looks like the rooster lost the battle to save his hens since he is missing and there is only a pile of feathers that we have found.  We have another rooster but my husband and I are really sad because we watched him grow and become a rooster and chose him from several others.  It's really sad to lose one of the animals we are responsible for.  I think the hens will have to locked up in the coop until we can secure a better place for them.  A wash runs down the back side of the property from Oak Glen and coyotes and all kinds of critters hang out there.  I know there are bears up in Oak Glen which is just a few miles up the road so I share your concerns. 

Ugh. I hate losing a rooster, especially. They have so much personality. I'm sorry for your loss.

Yes, keep them locked up for a bit. Whatever got him likely isn't hungry immediately but it will be soon and knows there's more. How did it get into the run? Do you have overhead protection? I have no-climb wire that goes across the top of mine but I'd prefer to have hardware cloth. Seems excessive but it protects against weasels (I'm in Fallbrook, we've got red weasels) as well as coyotes and hawks.

chelsiemom, thanks for the welcome. I'm glad to meet someone else who lives in Yucaipa! Unfortunately, I hate to spoil your day and reinforce your fears, but this afternoon something got into the chicken run and it looks like the rooster lost the battle to save his hens since he is missing and there is only a pile of feathers that we have found. We have another rooster but my husband and I are really sad because we watched him grow and become a rooster and chose him from several others. It's really sad to lose one of the animals we are responsible for. I think the hens will have to locked up in the coop until we can secure a better place for them. A wash runs down the back side of the property from Oak Glen and coyotes and all kinds of critters hang out there. I know there are bears up in Oak Glen which is just a few miles up the road so I share your concerns.

We might be near each other. I'm on the north bench. Sorry for your loss. Anyway, I have 2 roosters that our four months old, a white easter egger and RIR. If you want either, happy to share. They're the first 2 chicks I bought, from All Seasons. Too many roos for then hens I have. It is very frustrating to raise what you think are pullets, all those hen treats and special attention you give, then realize you can't keep...

I am new to them, too. Have had them maybe 2 months, and I just got good advise on this forum...PYGMY HELP. I've seen several ads for selling some on Facebook Livestock Yucaipa...So far, enjoying them alot, they love hanging with my horses, but mine are timid and my neighbor keeps trying to entice them into her yard and stealing them!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1142453/pygmy-help#post_17778168

They are ADORABLE
love.gif
and thanks for the info link! I need to build a goat barn for them before we get them. Up here in the mountains they would be someones dinner
ep.gif
if they are not secured at night. Need to wait until spring to start the project, but can't wait! How old are they?

They are just over 8 months. They don't have their own barn, but they're nearly always in the corral w/ the horses. We're building a bigger chicken coop right now. I'm told it's nearly impossible to keep them in a pen, so I let them wander the yard. But...maybe we'll build them something next....
Thanks, I think they're cute too...:)

Back
Top Bottom