California-Southern

Ok, the pen was super shaded this morning and nobody was staying still. These were the best photos I could get. They all have small red comb. Any guesses on who is laying eggs?
You want to sell me your three roosters? ;) I bet you'll get eggs from all three! I can't tell who's laying and who isn't, but those are all girls. EE ladies all have those arching tail feathers which is irritating when trying to tell the gender. But by this age, you should see shiny hackle and saddle feathers poking through.

You want to sell me your three roosters? ;) I bet you'll get eggs from all three!

I can't tell who's laying and who isn't, but those are all girls. EE ladies all have those arching tail feathers which is irritating when trying to tell the gender. But by this age, you should see shiny hackle and saddle feathers poking through.

Closer inspection, the next to last picture I might see saddle feathers. Can you get another photo of that one? or you can check yourself, just hold him/her in your lap and feel through to the skin on the cushion/saddle until you see new feathers. Slender, pointed and shiny, boy. Rounded and same sheen as body feathers, girl.

Last edited:
You want to sell me your three roosters?
wink.png
I bet you'll get eggs from all three!

I can't tell who's laying and who isn't, but those are all girls. EE ladies all have those arching tail feathers which is irritating when trying to tell the gender. But by this age, you should see shiny hackle and saddle feathers poking through.
It's funny, they ended up in this pen, because they all ACTED like boys. They flare their hackle feathers when I drop in a new bird. I understand there is always some adjustment for ranking of any new birds, but the poor silkies got brutalized the first few days - I had to separate them for about a week. Now they get along fine, but it was dicey in the beginning. The one with the upward tail acts more like a girl. The prettiest black one is the one that acts the most aggressive.

I have WAY, way too many chickens at the moment. We collected 29 eggs yesterday. Most of the juveniles have started laying.

I was going to get a picture of my EEs cushion but she's snuck into the house and made a blanket fort out of towels and started making pterodactyl sounds at me.

Somebody is broody.
LOL, that is way too funny! In my silkie pen, I have 5 that are trying to go broody. They are all piled up in a box. They have no fertile eggs, so it's going to be a long month unless I can break them. Last baby I snuck under one of the silkies, she killed. So, no babies allowed.

Get another shot of that next to last one if you can that focuses on the saddle. I think I might see one or two boyish feathers.

As far as raising hackles and acting like boys, yes, EE girls can put on quite a show! My girl becomes the Evil Sunflower when she's threatening the little cockerel to stay away from her.

I live in Lakewood, CA. Last Saturday I found a chicken. I put up notices around my neighborhood, but no one is claiming her. I can't keep her & am having trouble finding somewhere for her. Does anyone want her?

Last edited:
This is what happens when chicken math hits us and we adore the too cute chicks
lau.gif
-- you may have to join a Farmers Mkt to sell off the excess!
I sell them at work for $3 a dozen - it doesn't pay the bills, but it makes me and other people happy! My folks live with me, and my dad still works - he sells more of the eggs than I do. He's actually better at selling the actual chickens than I am....

Back
Top Bottom