California-Southern

I'm in Southern California- Norco, which is on the Riverside/Orange County border.
big_smile.png
I am currently in Winchester which I find good for chicken raising. I plan on having 4 to start. We should keep in touch ( all of the SOCAL) folks.

CAMom- There is a little group of us that get together in Norco every once in a while for "chickening", as we call it! Pretty much, we just talk about chickens, look at chickens, shop for chickens... do all the weird chicken stuff! You should join us sometime! It's just really hard to go through a day of "chickening" and not pick something up.[/QUOTE]
I would like to get together with your group. It would be me and my wife, if that is okay to bring someone. I hope you don't find this post too forward but living in SOCAL (Winchester) and finding other chicken friends is wonderful. I am not sure how to trade information privately but I will research it on this board and hopefully contact you soon with my details.
Dennis Noble :)

I’m in Riverside/Jurupa Valley area. What does a dozen eggs sell for around here? Having excess eggs and family is interested in eggs and donating to the chicken feed fund.

Anyone here near Lake Arrowhead? I saw someone but the post was from years ago...I'm looking for fertile eggs to hatch but the chickens in our neighborhood haven't been laying much..I looked into ordering eggs but read that the altitude change of where laid and hatched could mess with hatchibility..we are right about 4500' level

Anyone in the san Fernando valley???[
Anyone from the Central Valley? Lol
Hi. Good luck on your move! If you keep heavily feathered birds in the heat you will need to be proactive in cooling them down in the summer time. I have lost birds, mainly Orpingtons, to heat stroke as early as May when I have not been able to be here to keep an eye out for a bird in trouble or to wet the runs down multiple times per day. However the smaller Mediterranean breeds that I keep as well have never had much of a problem managing in triple digits. Cream Legbars are friendly, not very flighty, and pretty productive. I keep those along with various Leghorns and other birds without lavish plumage. Last year I gave my flock of Lavender Orpingtons to a friend in a cooler area-it just seemed cruel to make them go through another summer here.
Hi there, living in Kern County since 1983, have had all kinds of chickens, Silkies, Easter Eggers, Wyandottes, Orpingtons, Australorp, Speckled Sussex, etc., never lost any specific to heat, but the turkeys seem to do worse with the heat. I keep my runs in the shade of trees, and always have plenty of water, put out a wading pool once in a while to help during a bad heat spell. What I will do this year for the turkeys is buy shade cloth, hang it on the fence and put up a mister, and on hot afternoon windless days, run a fan. They also sell portable evaporative coolers that can help keep your hens laying if that is a concern. You can also buy the regular evaporative coolers at garage sales for cheap, a little rehab and they will keep your pens cool, without using too much power, especially if you only use in the hot afternoons. Kern county is pretty big and includes mountain areas that are 10 degrees cooler than the sea level areas. Weather is variable and some years worse than others heatwise. Right now, living in Bakersfield, brooding Speckled Sussex. Light Brahmas, Easter Eggers, and some Cochins that I plan to free range after I get my 6 foot chain link fence up to keep out predators. They are 10 days old. Anyway, I have seen every kind of chicken around here, though I am sure some do better than others, most seem to make it alright with just a little TLC during the extra hot periods, which in the summer can go on for up to a week or 2 at a time.
Anyway, if you are still headed this way, welcome to Kern County! It is a country kind of place!

Back
Top Bottom