California-Southern

Hi! I am in Altadena! Where are you in SGV? Today I met a guy at Wes Feed store in El Monte, he is also from SGV.
I have 2 Black Polish white crested, 2 silver laced Polish, 2 white silkies, 2 blue silkies, 3 buff orpingtons, 1 Brahma.
I've been there!! I met his son Devin! Sadly, they never have orpies when I go! I got my Easter Egger's, Australorp, Cuckoo Marans, BSL's, and BPR from him!

Okay here they are. The mille fleur d'uccle is molting so more white looking right now and the brahma is only molting slightly. The orpington is young and not molting this year.

I am in the San Gabriel valley if anyone is interested.

HOLY €#%=¥&@!!!!!! Literally just had a super close call with a large hawk at around 7:30 this morning. I was still half asleep, but the encounter totally woke me up and made my heart pound like crazy.

Walnut, my POL pullet (SF x EO-Basque), was standing near our larger veggie bed. I was walking towards her direction. She started freaking out and I saw a blur in front. I stepped towards the blur, which dove towards the corner where Walnut was previously standing. It missed and was trying to push off the welded wire frame over the veggie bed. It knocked the wire frame off, and when the wings spread it was only about 3 ft from slapping my face. Am so glad I decided not to get closer in my frantic attempt to shoo it away. It was HUGE!!! Large body and large wingspan of at least 5'! I'm guessing it was a red-tailed hawk.

This is Walnut. She got quite a scare, but she's okay. Hopefully her EO genetics and the fact that she was raised by a SFH broody, another landrace breed, helped her alertness and escape. Lol.

In pretty sure the hawk is a "repeat customer," because he knew the best way in which to attack and exit the yard and the bird/hawk net stretched over part of the yard. He navigated without any problems whatsoever.

He came from the trees or poles behind the roofline and flew towards the long veggie bed.

Walnut was standing in this corner of the bed. Hawk totally knocked the welded wire frame back.

Too bad I didn't get a pic or video of the majestic (and scary) hawk. Now we have to add changing up the scenery a little to our long DIY to-do list. I think I'll start by hanging CDs or some shiny ribbon on the edge of the net where all the resident Hawks (we mainly get Coopers) are now entering for their attack. They've been coming from the same angle for the last couple of months. The me t has been up for about a year. We know the risks of free ranging out chickens all day, and I think their happiness is worth the risk, especially since we've gone through such lengths to try to protect them. So far, the score is like Chickens/us: 50, Hawks: 0. I know Hawks will score one day. We'd hate to lose one, but that's part of Mother Nature.

Last edited:
HOLY €#%=¥&@!!!!!! Literally just had a super close call with a large hawk at around 7:30 this morning. I was still half asleep, but the encounter totally woke me up and made my heart pound like crazy.

Walnut, my POL pullet (SF x EO-Basque), was standing near our larger veggie bed. I was walking towards her direction. She started freaking out and I saw a blur in front. I stepped towards the blur, which dove towards the corner where Walnut was previously standing. It missed and was trying to push off the welded wire frame over the veggie bed. It knocked the wire frame off, and when the wings spread it was only about 3 ft from slapping my face. Am so glad I decided not to get closer in my frantic attempt to shoo it away. It was HUGE!!! Large body and large wingspan of at least 5'! I'm guessing it was a red-tailed hawk.

This is Walnut. She got quite a scare, but she's okay. Hopefully her EO genetics and the fact that she was raised by a SFH broody, another landrace breed, helped her alertness and escape. Lol.

In pretty sure the hawk is a "repeat customer," because he knew the best way in which to attack and exit the yard and the bird/hawk net stretched over part of the yard. He navigated without any problems whatsoever.

He came from the trees or poles behind the roofline and flew towards the long veggie bed.

Walnut was standing in this corner of the bed. Hawk totally knocked the welded wire frame back.

Too bad I didn't get a pic or video of the majestic (and scary) hawk. Now we have to add changing up the scenery a little to our long DIY to-do list. I think I'll start by hanging CDs or some shiny ribbon on the edge of the net where all the resident Hawks (we mainly get Coopers) are now entering for their attack. They've been coming from the same angle for the last couple of months. The me t has been up for about a year. We know the risks of free ranging out chickens all day, and I think their happiness is worth the risk, especially since we've gone through such lengths to try to protect them. So far, the score is like Chickens/us: 50, Hawks: 0. I know Hawks will score one day. We'd hate to lose one, but that's part of Mother Nature.
sounds like its bigger than a red tailed hawk.... Red tailed hawks have a wingspan of about four feet... we have Golden Eagles nesting in the power towers here.... i have seen them launch and dive down the middle of the tower and ope thier wings out about three quarters of the way down, and shoot out at the bottom...

Either way those talons are super dangerous.

deb

[
sounds like its bigger than a red tailed hawk.... Red tailed hawks have a wingspan of about four feet... we have Golden Eagles nesting in the power towers here.... i have seen them launch and dive down the middle of the tower and ope thier wings out about three quarters of the way down, and shoot out at the bottom...

Either way those talons are super dangerous.

deb

Definitely not Golden Eagle. Maybe the hawk is a she since females are bigger, and/or its wingspan is on the higher end of the average. I'm no hawk expert, just a guess based on what I saw and my googling and reading abilities. :) All the birds of prey are super scary to me! Gorgeous and amazing, but I definitely don't want to be scratched or smacked by one!

Okay here they are. The mille fleur d'uccle is molting so more white looking right now and the brahma is only molting slightly. The orpington is young and not molting this year.

I am in the San Gabriel valley if anyone is interested.
I'm interested in all three and can pick them up this weekend! Were they vaccinated and are they healthy girls? Sorry, I'm asking because my friends whole flock had to be culled because someone sold him a sick bird without telling him ): Also, are they tame?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom