California-Southern

From what I understand the way genetics was explained by one BYCer, Blue is a difficult color to breed for hardiness -- even in the dog-breeding world they have problems. I lost my Blue Breda hen last year to heat-related complications and rather suddenly so I'm really closely monitoring these new Blue Breda juvies. Stress of shipping took its toll on them so I have them on electrolytes, chick probiotics, and Corid, while waiting on poop sample results from my vet.
yea I would agree although I dont have a lot of experience with it.

Like any rare color you have to inbreed (or linebreed) to lock in the traits... This is probably where the lack of vigor come from.

Good evening everyone. I would really love to connect with more people locally! I too am in Southern California, however more on the Central Coast side of the south.
I really enjoy connecting with others and sharing stories or when looking for particular breeds, or in need of poultry swaps.

A friend and I will sometimes have excess chicks to get rid of, and when someone calls for a particular breed that the other has, then we help each other connect others with what they are looking for.

Also, sometimes when we go on vacations or have unexpected even occur we are more adept to help one another out!

Its a great community, this fowl world! I love being apart of it!

Good evening everyone. I would really love to connect with more people locally! I too am in Southern California, however more on the Central Coast side of the south.
I really enjoy connecting with others and sharing stories or when looking for particular breeds, or in need of poultry swaps.

A friend and I will sometimes have excess chicks to get rid of, and when someone calls for a particular breed that the other has, then we help each other connect others with what they are looking for.

Also, sometimes when we go on vacations or have unexpected even occur we are more adept to help one another out!

Its a great community, this fowl world! I love being apart of it!
Welcome!! I am in Ventura County - found out I have about 6 or 7 folks local to me, that I've met here, then through their contacts and on facebook. Literally folks that live less than 3 miles from me.

yea I would agree although I dont have a lot of experience with it.

Like any rare color you have to inbreed (or linebreed) to lock in the traits... This is probably where the lack of vigor come from.

Hi JShubin - my sister's last name is Shubin too!

On the chickenforum.com I spoke with someone who brought up the issue of Blue being a difficult color to breed for hardiness even in the dog breeding world.

On the Breda thread there's been discussions about the hardiness of breeding this rare breed, whether it's fertility problems, hatching problems, or mortality issues and @chicken danz posted the following about a possible issue causing lack of hardiness. Don't know what color eggs your breeds lay but I thought I would pass on this info. chicken danz has had a lot of years experience raising different chicken breeds and at least 7 years with Breda. I believe chicken danz found a weak link within their own line of breeders that they can weed out. I hope chicken danz doesn't mind my reference but breeding issues concern all owners.

"There's been some talk on here about how easily Breda's die or get ill. I have had a few problems myself and haven't been able to figure out what has gone wrong when they would get sick or weak and be in a pen with other breeds of birds who aren't affected or become ill. I was doing some research and found a link between white egg laying breeds and a slow feathering gene that results in the bird getting a form of avian leukosis. This reduces it's health and makes it more susceptible to disease like Mareks or colds or other viruses or problems. I have seen what appear to be perfectly healthy chicks go down and die in a couple days. I think this must be the cause. So those of us that do raise and try to keep this rare breed going need to be sure and breed only with birds that show good health. Not all of the birds will have this but a good number will.
It so explains so many sicknesses and or deaths that came on suddenly when other young birds were fine."

I'm pretty new to this site--as a member anyway--and am glad to finally leap into the realm of chicken chatter!

Scrolling through the forum, I was almost unsure if there was a post for So Cal because it was so low down on the list!
I live in San Diego County, relatively coastal, and love it here.  I'm not sure I'll be traking perminent residence here, but for the time being, it's my home.

I've always loved chickens, but have never had the pleasure of owning any of my own.  This will change soon, very soon
I ordered a batch of chicks due to arrive in just a few weeks, and I couldn't be more thrilled!  I'm starting with Houdans and a few Polish, but I'm not sure where it'll go from here! c:

Last edited:
I'm pretty new to this site--as a member anyway--and am glad to finally leap into the realm of chicken chatter!

Scrolling through the forum, I was almost unsure if there was a post for So Cal because it was so low down on the list!
I love in San Diego County, relatively coastal, and love it here.  I'm not sure I'll be traking perminent residence here, but for the time being, it's my home.

I've always loved chickens, but have never had the pleasure of owning any of my own.  This will change soon, very soon
I ordered a batch of chicks due to arrive in just a few weeks, and I couldn't be more thrilled!  I'm starting with Houdans and a few Polish, but I'm not sure where it'll go from here! c:

Welcome! I live in San Bernardino County. Looking forward to seeing pictures of your chicks when they arrive. Mine are all between 6-9 weeks old.
We have:
3 buff orpington
1 red/gold sex-link (thought it was a BO)
3 Easter Egger
2 silver laced wyandotte
2 barred rock
2 black australorp

I love in San Diego County, relatively coastal, and love it here.  I'm not sure I'll be traking perminent residence here, but for the time being, it's my home.

Hi there. Fallbrook, here :) the coastal regions I know have pretty severe limitations on chickens, usually a max of 3 hens, 0 roos, so be careful! Houdans and Polish are fun birds! Welcome :)

Hi JShubin - my sister's last name is Shubin too!

On the chickenforum.com I spoke with someone who brought up the issue of Blue being a difficult color to breed for hardiness even in the dog breeding world.

On the Breda thread there's been discussions about the hardiness of breeding this rare breed, whether it's fertility problems, hatching problems, or mortality issues and @chicken danz posted the following about a possible issue causing lack of hardiness. Don't know what color eggs your breeds lay but I thought I would pass on this info. chicken danz has had a lot of years experience raising different chicken breeds and at least 7 years with Breda. I believe chicken danz found a weak link within their own line of breeders that they can weed out. I hope chicken danz doesn't mind my reference but breeding issues concern all owners.

"There's been some talk on here about how easily Breda's die or get ill. I have had a few problems myself and haven't been able to figure out what has gone wrong when they would get sick or weak and be in a pen with other breeds of birds who aren't affected or become ill. I was doing some research and found a link between white egg laying breeds and a slow feathering gene that results in the bird getting a form of avian leukosis. This reduces it's health and makes it more susceptible to disease like Mareks or colds or other viruses or problems. I have seen what appear to be perfectly healthy chicks go down and die in a couple days. I think this must be the cause. So those of us that do raise and try to keep this rare breed going need to be sure and breed only with birds that show good health. Not all of the birds will have this but a good number will.
It so explains so many sicknesses and or deaths that came on suddenly when other young birds were fine."

Hi, popping in to share my experience.
I have had Blue Laced Red Wyandottes and Blue Copper Marans, as well as a variety of blue barnyard mixes, not necessarily from those breeds. I have not experienced any health problems with this wide ranging group, and certainly nothing focused on blues in general. In general I would say my blues have been thrifty and vigorous. And pretty too.
To the point of the discussion above, none of them have been white layers.

Welcome! I live in San Bernardino County. Looking forward to seeing pictures of your chicks when they arrive. Mine are all between 6-9 weeks old.
We have:
3 buff orpington
1 red/gold sex-link (thought it was a BO)
3 Easter Egger
2 silver laced wyandotte
2 barred rock
2 black australorp

Hi SewCluck,
I also live in Yucaipa. Where did you get your chicks? It looks like a very nice assortment. I have 8 light brahmas (2 roosters even though we bought what was supposed to be hens) and am getting between 4 and 6 eggs everyday.

Back
Top Bottom