California-Southern

Pics
Flower, I just saw the pics of my babies.... they are bigger already. D'uccles love to fly around. I have caught them trying to roost on branches 6 to 8 feet up. When I let mine out to free range, they fly and hop around. It's so cute! I actually had your babies under a regular 100 watt bulb suspended from a heat lamp for a couple of days before you got them. I use a red brooder bulb when they are really little, it gets really toasty and keeps them from picking each other.

What a week I had ! First I tried to broil my little baby chicks ! The hen that I misdiagnosed as broody was jut trying to lay eggs but could not ! In two day I realized that she had oviduct torsion and would die soon. Her comb and wattles were changing to pale pink and mottled white but she was still active but somewhat isolating herself. The morning after I brought the new room back I found her on the floor of the coop. She was still breathing so I brought her inside and placed her on a towel on the sofa beside me and she died in a few hours. The three remaining hens are very unfriendly toward Mr Roo. Every time he leaves the coop, one hens or the another run over to peck him. This morning I made him his own roost outside up away from the nasty girls. Oh I hope he figures out his role in life. He needs more than to be pretty.
idunno.gif
I am glad I was a better parent to the two legged type without feathers !

Oh! what a mess. I wonder why the hens don't like your roo? I'm sorry you lost your other hen. Your babies must be getting bigger all the time.

How is everybody ? Spring is starting to make its appearance here in the Mojave. The buds are busy growing and the bulb are sprouting all over. Soon the daffodils Tulips and all will be bight and shinning in the sun. I am on day 20 of my incubation of my neighbors eggs. My d'uccle chicks are growing fast and have already have fun in the sun as I put them outside during the daytime. I have my bigger birds over at my neighbors and am planning on finding a space at the friday farmers market if the cost is reasonable.

Anyone selling their eggs for food yet ?

Hi all,
Just thought I'd check in here on the So. Cal. thread.
My name is Ron, I live in the city of Orange, (near "The circle"), and am new to chicken keeping.
(I had some experience as a kid, but that was many years ago).

I joined the BYC a few weeks ago, and have been spending most of my time on the Coops, and Chicks threads so far.
I am in the process of building my Coop and Run, (as work, time, weather, and kid duties allow), the Run is 12' x 24', with a 4' x 8' Coop inside.
I've been reading and learning alot so far, and am enjoying this site and the many helpful members. (my wife thinks it's a new obcession, LOL!), (but she did pick out the Araucanas herself) LOL!

I have 2 kids, a 10 y.o. son Nickolas, and 8 y.o. daughter Cameron, who are very excited about this whole "Chicken Adventure", and we are having fun with it, and I'm looking forward to having my kids learn about the care and handleing of their new pets.

We currently have 6 chicks at almost 4 weeks old, in a brooder, in the house.
2 Araucanas, 1 Buff Orpington, 1 Rhode Island Red, 1 Black Australorp, and 1 Barred Plymouth Rock. (all standard sized birds)
I am hoping to find at least 2, and maybe 4 more chicks, of similar age soon, (this is in the intrest of successful integration to my existing chicks), and am looking for a couple of Wyndonnettes, (Silver, and other)
and am undecided on the remaining 2. (suggestions welcomed)

If anyone knows of where some of these breeds of chicks are available, fairly local, ( O.C., Corona, Riverside, Norco, Temecula, Etc.), Please let me know.

Anyway, I just wanted to check in, and introduce myself with the "Locals Members" here, and look forward to hearing from you all.
Have a Great Day,
Ron and the Munchkins...

Back
Top Bottom