Call duckling - deformed bill

It's eyes look off too

I had a call duck hen sitting on eggs that decided, for whatever reason, to give up the nest. I checked the eggs and several were still viable, so I put them in the incubator. This one hatched yesterday, but it has a deformed bill. I hope it will be able to eat and drink... so far it is doing well. Very active, and has a sibling helping it along. I thought Iā€™d start a thread to monitor it, and invite anyone who has experienced this, or is just interested in the outcome, to tag along.
View attachment 2656873View attachment 2656874

I had almost exactly the same deal- took 20 eggs from my lazy (crazy) mallard mama; 10 were still viable but in different stages of development. 8 hatched normally, the last didn't pip. This one popped but couldn't finish the job- when I helped him, I found out why!

I had almost exactly the same deal- took 20 eggs from my lazy (crazy) mallard mama; 10 were still viable but in different stages of development. 8 hatched normally, the last didn't pip. This one popped but couldn't finish the job- when I helped him, I found out why!

Attachments

• 20210513_162931.jpg
    20210513_162931.jpg
    420.8 KB · Views: 22
  • 20210513_162848.jpg
    20210513_162848.jpg
    727.2 KB · Views: 14
  • 20210513_163518.jpg
    20210513_163518.jpg
    483.3 KB · Views: 13
@Wyorp Rock I had one call duckling this year which had this at one side of his/her bill and died before hatching (see right white duckling). Someone I know who has many many calls had one this year too. The little one did not survive. So I keep my fingers crossed for yours.

Although my adult ducks do not show symptoms it is suspicious for folic acid deficiency within the breeder duck. Because I also had 3 pullets die just after internal pipping

Poultry DMV says:
"Folic-deficient breeder hens tend to produce chicken embryos that die immediately after pipping the air cell while in the later stages of incubation."

and:

"A deformed beak and bending of the tibiotarsus are signs of the embryonic deficiency, which occurs as a result of folic acid deficient breeding chickens."

See more at: http://www.poultrydvm.com/condition/folic-acid-deficiency

I will definitely supplement my ducks more folic acid from now on and especially next breeding season to try to prevent this from happening.

[Edit:I wonder if you could think of other reasons for this to happen...]
View attachment 2660044
My thought on this is that when the eggs were taken from the duck, there maybe was enough disruption in the temperature and such that it didn't develop right. I had 8 normal ducklings and 1 with a beak like that; they were at different stages of development when I took the eggs and hatched over the course of about a week. My guy was the last to hatch, with one other late egg not hatching.

That egg goo sometimes gets stuck and makes the down look like that until they have their first bath. I've had several I thought looked weird for a while like that.
My "Long John Silver" the pirate duck with a beak like that does have a squinty eye- it gets a little goopy sometimes but seems alright. Here are both sides of his head...

Attachments

• 20210513_162931.jpg
    20210513_162931.jpg
    420.8 KB · Views: 13
  • 20210513_162902.jpg
    20210513_162902.jpg
    393 KB · Views: 23
My "Long John Silver" the pirate duck with a beak like that does have a squinty eye- it gets a little goopy sometimes but seems alright. Here are both sides of his head...

Very cute!! How is he doing now?
And I agree with the theory of the disruption of the development. Iā€™ve rescued eggs from hens many times without the issue, so I believe itā€™s a timing thing, stage of development at the time.

Very cute!! How is he doing now?
And I agree with the theory of the disruption of the development. Iā€™ve rescued eggs from hens many times without the issue, so I believe itā€™s a timing thing, stage of development at the time.
He's growing and happy- his tongue sticks out the side a little and gets kinda dry, wish I could do something about that but I can't imagine what. He's in with my bantam chicks- for some reason they love ducklings!

He's growing and happy- his tongue sticks out the side a little and gets kinda dry, wish I could do something about that but I can't imagine what. He's in with my bantam chicks- for some reason they love ducklings!
Here's a current pic of Long John Duckling! He's getting huge.

Attachments

• 20210614_075205.jpg
    20210614_075205.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 20

Back
Top Bottom