Call white/Silkie Cross Sex link?

Discussion in 'Exhibition, Genetics, & Breeding to the SOP' started by Coffeebean1947, Feb 17, 2019.

1. Coffeebean1947

Coffeebean1947 Songster

Aug 25, 2018
    So I read on here that if you cross a black silkie with a white leghorn, you get a sexlink based on skin color. Is this true? And if so, does it work with Cali Whites too or does the hen have to be full leghorn? Hoping I dont have a broder full of cockerels.

2. Cyprus

Cyprus Master of the 'never give up' attitude

Jan 19, 2018
    SE Wisconsin
    My Coop
    Why black silkie and white leghorn specifically if you are talking about skin color?
    If the male is the Silkie, all chicks should have dark skin. I believe, but could be wrong, that the female has to be the Silkie for any sex linking to work.

3. Coffeebean1947

Coffeebean1947 Songster

Aug 25, 2018
    I have one chick with dark skin and the others have light skin. The roo is a black silkie and the hen a Cali white. They all are white with a few black patches.

4. nicalandia

nicalandia Crowing

Jul 16, 2009
    I have stated that quite a few times, actually any type of Silkie father would do the trick.

and here are the Genetics of it.

Silkie Father has Fm/Fm id+/id+(id+/- for hens) = Fm stands for Autosomal dominant Fibromelanotic(not sex linked), id+ stands for sex linked recessive dermal enhancer. when both are combined they produce a black skin bird.

Leghorns(of any color) are fm+/fm+ and Id/Id(Id/- for hens) fm+ stands for Autosomal recessive clear skin(yellow or white). Id stands for sex linked dominant dermal inhibitor, when combine will produce clear white/yellow skin with clear white/yellow shanks(yellow in the case of leghorns)

When a Silkie rooster is cross to a Leghorn hen the cross will produce sex links based on the id sex linked allele, the F1 pullets will inherit the id+ and Fm from father(the will be Fm/fm+ id+/-) and the F1 cockerels will inherit Id from Leghorn dame(they will be Fm/fm+ and Id/id+) since Id is dominant over id+ the F1 males will have clear skin with clear shanks and the F1 pullets will have Dark skin and dark shanks.

This type of sex link cross can be sex the moment they hatch(or as 2-3 weeks embryos if you have a clear windows on the eggs for studying)

Coffeebean1947 likes this.
  5. Coffeebean1947

Coffeebean1947 Songster

Aug 25, 2018
    Yes exactly, and my question is Does this work with a Cali White hen which from what I understand is only half leghorn?

6. nicalandia

nicalandia Crowing

Jul 16, 2009
    Yes, it will work on any white yellow/white legged birds including the California Whites

7. Coffeebean1947

Coffeebean1947 Songster

Aug 25, 2018
    One more question, what if the skin is both? Dark tapering to light?

8. nicalandia

nicalandia Crowing

Jul 16, 2009
    that could be due to Extended black depositing some melanin on the epidermis(not the dermis) so that is okay

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: