Call white/Silkie Cross Sex link?

Coffeebean1947

Songster
Aug 25, 2018
So I read on here that if you cross a black silkie with a white leghorn, you get a sexlink based on skin color. Is this true? And if so, does it work with Cali Whites too or does the hen have to be full leghorn? Hoping I dont have a broder full of cockerels.

Why black silkie and white leghorn specifically if you are talking about skin color?
If the male is the Silkie, all chicks should have dark skin. I believe, but could be wrong, that the female has to be the Silkie for any sex linking to work.

I have one chick with dark skin and the others have light skin. The roo is a black silkie and the hen a Cali white. They all are white with a few black patches.

So I read on here that if you cross a black silkie with a white leghorn, you get a sexlink based on skin color. Is this true? And if so, does it work with Cali Whites too or does the hen have to be full leghorn? Hoping I dont have a broder full of cockerels.
I have stated that quite a few times, actually any type of Silkie father would do the trick.

and here are the Genetics of it.

Silkie Father has Fm/Fm id+/id+(id+/- for hens) = Fm stands for Autosomal dominant Fibromelanotic(not sex linked), id+ stands for sex linked recessive dermal enhancer. when both are combined they produce a black skin bird.

Leghorns(of any color) are fm+/fm+ and Id/Id(Id/- for hens) fm+ stands for Autosomal recessive clear skin(yellow or white). Id stands for sex linked dominant dermal inhibitor, when combine will produce clear white/yellow skin with clear white/yellow shanks(yellow in the case of leghorns)

When a Silkie rooster is cross to a Leghorn hen the cross will produce sex links based on the id sex linked allele, the F1 pullets will inherit the id+ and Fm from father(the will be Fm/fm+ id+/-) and the F1 cockerels will inherit Id from Leghorn dame(they will be Fm/fm+ and Id/id+) since Id is dominant over id+ the F1 males will have clear skin with clear shanks and the F1 pullets will have Dark skin and dark shanks.

This type of sex link cross can be sex the moment they hatch(or as 2-3 weeks embryos if you have a clear windows on the eggs for studying)

I have stated that quite a few times, actually any type of Silkie father would do the trick.

and here are the Genetics of it.

Silkie Father has Fm/Fm id+/id+(id+/- for hens) = Fm stands for Autosomal dominant Fibromelanotic(not sex linked), id+ stands for sex linked recessive dermal enhancer. when both are combined they produce a black skin bird.

Leghorns(of any color) are fm+/fm+ and Id/Id(Id/- for hens) fm+ stands for Autosomal recessive clear skin(yellow or white). Id stands for sex linked dominant dermal inhibitor, when combine will produce clear white/yellow skin with clear white/yellow shanks(yellow in the case of leghorns)

When a Silkie rooster is cross to a Leghorn hen the cross will produce sex links based on the id sex linked allele, the F1 pullets will inherit the id+ and Fm from father(the will be Fm/fm+ id+/-) and the F1 cockerels will inherit Id from Leghorn dame(they will be Fm/fm+ and Id/id+) since Id is dominant over id+ the F1 males will have clear skin with clear shanks and the F1 pullets will have Dark skin and dark shanks.

This type of sex link cross can be sex the moment they hatch(or as 2-3 weeks embryos if you have a clear windows on the eggs for studying)

Yes exactly, and my question is Does this work with a Cali White hen which from what I understand is only half leghorn?

First I wanna apologize for the necropost, but we've got a black Silkie roo with blue "pants" and Cali white hens, the girls have been laying for a few months now and we have started getting fertilized eggs. (YAY!)

So I have a couple inquiries, first one is how likely are Cali whites to go broody? They don't seem to have any interest whatsoever in brooding eggs, they lay and walk away.

Second and final inquiry is do any of you who've had Silkie Roo/Cali whites breed have pictures of the resulting hybrids? I've been searching and looking for pictures of this particular cross to no avail and I'm anxious to see what kind of little floofs they might be when they're grown.

Back
Top Bottom