Calling all dog people! Dog with skin issues.

Kennas_Kritters

Songster
Dec 30, 2019
Polk City, FL
My Coop
My Coop
Hey everyone! Some of you may remember my posts about Patience the bloodhound having puppies.... well today we brought home 3 new bloodhounds that a lady had to rehome as they were moving and erm theres what happened.... We got there and the dogs came up to the gate growling at us but soon calmed down when they realized we were nice. The male immediately caught my eye as he is VERY small for a bloodhound but it didnt change my mind about wanting him.... she then told us that the male was missing some teeth in the front from chewing up their AC unit :) sure enough he is toofless in the front... I also noticed he had spots above his tail and a few spots on his legs in different places that were missing some hair and the skin looked dry so is it from chewing fleas? is it mange? Something else? I'll post pictures tommorrow... the others look ok but they are all super dirty and covered in fleas it seems so we have gave them flea meds... the males name is Jasper hes 4y/o and we got him along with a female Jasmine 4y/o and a female puppy named Ruby that's 12 weeks old. The male Jasper also has a weird gait? When he walks it's not a smooth stride like a normal bloodhound... I'll get videos tomorrow to but any ideas? We are going to get them checked at the vet soon to. We are supposed to pay them $900 in october for these dogs (they have a check) and they didn't have health certificates for them either so they will be getting a health check.... I just want these dogs to feel loved and at home so getting them back in good health is a good start! Any advice is appreciated.

I agree with everyone that getting rid of fleas and parasites should be the first priority. In addition to that I can say as a long time hound dog owner mine have always had healthier skin and ears with a grain free diet. Bless your heart for saving these sweet babies. Baby Red and I think you are awesome!

Attachments

• IMG_20151118_192241.jpg
    IMG_20151118_192241.jpg
    500 KB · Views: 4
We use comfortis for all of our dogs so that's what we gave them... hes getting a flea bath today and some baby oil rubbed on his butt where he has chewed as it's very dry and flaky. His gait problem though is probably HD so he will be checked by the vet.... I'll get pictures of his skin issues a bit later.... HOWEVER there happens to be yet ANOTHER problem.... the puppy we got with them (unrelated) cries loudly when you pick her up and hold her.... is she having some type of stomach problem or what? I dont know if shes just nervous or if she hurt? Shes walking around fine but she was eating grass in the yard which is why I'm assuming it's a stomach issue? I feel bad for these babies :( Jaspers butt is bleeding from him chewing so much. Any advice is appreciated once again!

Attachments

• 20200818_180146.jpg
    20200818_180146.jpg
    226.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 20200818_102454.jpg
    20200818_102454.jpg
    203.7 KB · Views: 4
  • 20200818_102519.jpg
    20200818_102519.jpg
    229.5 KB · Views: 4
  • 20200818_103705.jpg
    20200818_103705.jpg
    236.5 KB · Views: 4
Sounds like the owners were neglecting them. Here, it's illegal to sell dogs without a health certificate. But I'm glad you got them out of that situation. Sounds like fleas though. The vet will be able to tell you and give you the right treatment.
Could you please attach a picture or two? I love blood hounds <3

The spots with missing hair... is the skin red and warm? I'm not sure if this breed gets hot spots, hot spots are red and the dog will lick and lick the spot and lick the hair away because the spot or spots are irritating them.

Fleas or demodex would be my guess. A fungal infection is another possibility. I keep looking at the pictures of those puppies. Gosh they are cute!! I would love to have one but I am not set up to handle bloodhound and it would be irresponsible of me to try.

Congrats on your new additions! Once you treat and eradicate the fleas, you'll be able to see what's going on better. Some dogs suffer from a flea allergy and oftentimes they tend to have a more difficult time than those that are not allergic. If the dog seems uncomfortable while you go through the process of eliminating the fleas, you may want to ask your vet if Benadryl is safe for Bloodhounds. Many folks have to resort to using that if the itching seems severe. Hopefully that's not the case with your new guy, but it's something to keep in mind. Sounds like three lucky pups

If they have fleas then it’s probably just that, but if you want to be on the safe side you can pick up Bravecto (3mo flea chew) when you visit the vet. Off label it treats demodex which is a mange. The dog may have hip dysphasia based on what you are saying. I would put it on a joint support like dasaquin.

I used Bravecto topical (x-large vial can be split between dogs) for the first time this year and it has worked incredibly well.

Having said that my vet will not carry it because they have had problems in their practice so I asked for a script. I got the topical so if there was a reaction I could wash it off, also it was much less expensive to split a vial.

Last edited:
We use comfortis for all of our dogs so that's what we gave them... hes getting a flea bath today and some baby oil rubbed on his butt where he has chewed as it's very dry and flaky. His gait problem though is probably HD so he will be checked by the vet.... I'll get pictures of his skin issues a bit later.... HOWEVER there happens to be yet ANOTHER problem.... the puppy we got with them (unrelated) cries loudly when you pick her up and hold her.... is she having some type of stomach problem or what? I dont know if shes just nervous or if she hurt? Shes walking around fine but she was eating grass in the yard which is why I'm assuming it's a stomach issue? I feel bad for these babies :( Jaspers butt is bleeding from him chewing so much. Any advice is appreciated once again!
Puppy is probably just not use to being picked up. Our LGD puppy has done that from day one (he’s a big baby). You can try gently palpating her stomach while she is standing. They will tense up if something is hurting them. They may have worms, you should have the vet do a fecal float (on maybe one or two) if one has worms then they probably all have them.

Back
Top Bottom