Calling all free rangers!! Severe thunderstorm!!

DiYMama540

Crossing the Road
Jun 25, 2019
SW VA
My Coop
My Coop
Most of this post will be directed to others that choose to free range, as I'm assuming birds in the coop are safe from this sort of thing. I know there are multiple risks associated with free ranging, and this is just one of the many, but letting my girls roam for the day is what makes me happiest. With that being said.....

We are having strings of severe thunderstorms coming through our area this week (heavy rain, wind, lightning, thunder, even hail). What do you guys have to keep your birds out of weather like this?

I've got a large deck with a section of metal roofing underneath it to keep things dry. All the chickens head under the deck, no coaxing. Ducks have been a little slower about getting out of the weather, but even they eventually decide to find shelter. Then we have the geese...they were literally standing, frozen, in the middle of all the mess!! When I went outside to usher them under the deck they snapped out of it and went willingly to shelter.

What works for everyone else?? Do any of your birds freeze when bad weather comes through?? Aside from being struck by lightning or pelted by hail, are there any other dangers of being out in the thunderstorms???

Back
Top Bottom