Calling all Penedesencas Owners/Breeders

As for the Club website i was the webmaster for 2 years and put up all that u see on it now... but the owner had to renew my admin privileges once a year... and he did not do so 2 years ago... i have used all the numbers and email addresses i have for him and can not get ahold of him... he paid for the site for 5 years so it should run out next year i think... if it does i will buy it up and redo it and keep it up to date...
Hey, this might be the time. It looks like the club website has expired.

As for the Club website i was the webmaster for 2 years and put up all that u see on it now... but the owner had to renew my admin privileges once a year... and he did not do so 2 years ago... i have used all the numbers and email addresses i have for him and can not get ahold of him... he paid for the site for 5 years so it should run out next year i think... if it does i will buy it up and redo it and keep it up to date...
I will be up to help out as well money wise

I would love to see an informative site on Penedesencas! I've been looking at the Penedesenca facebook site and I can not seem to find much else on the internet about this beautiful breed...

I would love to see an informative site on Penedesencas! I've been looking at the Penedesenca facebook site and I can not seem to find much else on the internet about this beautiful breed...
Welcome. who are you on Facebook?
I am the penedesenca guy there. am hoping for more involvement and would love to see the website reopened.
you can pm myself or probably anyone here with specific questions or ask away

Most of the web information on Penedesencas and Empordanesas is in Catalonian. Some is in Spanish. Even less in German. The little reliable information that is in English is on an Irish site. The yahoo group has some documents that have been translated - some poorly.
I translated the Black Penedesenca Standard and posted it here. http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/penedesencas_usa/files/
I'm almost done with the Crele, Wheaten and Partridge and will post that too.
Sorry Jason, I haven't started the Empordanesa yet but will find that interesting since I haven't found one yet in any language but I'm sure it's out there.

IMO the info on US web sites is incomplete at best, mostly anecdotal and inaccurate at worst.

Thank guys, that's great... We have had imports of Penedesenca over here in Australia so I am looking forward to finding out more about them... Any idea which standards book you can find them in?

Probably in a Spanish, German and UK book. Those are the places that have had them long enough to be considered.

My purpose for translating them from Spain, Argentinian and Irish was to prevent a lot of deviations based on what birds here have become. IMHO it would behoove us to strive to get our birds to that point.

I joined a couple Aussie groups a few years ago because I did find people there with Blacks.

I had Welsummers a few years ago and their eggs were quite dark so I got addicted. I wanted to find what other breeds laid dark eggs so I could raise them. Welsummers are fairly common and Marans are very common so I wasn't interested since I have an innate need to be different. I wanted something rare, unusual, obscure AND that laid a dark egg. I discovered Penedesencas and since I eat the extra boys, I was only interested in the DP Blacks.
After about 6 months of searching I stumbled on someone that had just hatched some chicks and bought them.
I was instantly enamored.
They are VERY hardy(take whatever you throw at them), wild(predator proof), unique(only bird with white earlobes that lays a brown egg and a carnation comb), flavor is one of the worlds most sought after chicken meat ('Fira del Gall' - 'Fair of the Rooster')
Oh, and did I say they laid a lot of big pretty eggs?
Too bad the gene pool is so small here.

I know, the eggs have become addictive for me... I started out with Araucanas and then branched into the dark egg layers. The only problem here is in Austalia is that even the Welsummers eggs weren't really dark. I had a really dark Barnevelder strain for a while but now I mainly have Marans (which are quite rare here in Aus and now coming more avaiable though with weak genetics). Penedesencas are one of the new breeds we have never had in Australia that have come in from an organised import from the UK. It is the first time in over 50 years we have had poultry imported other than for commercial purposes. I'm not sure what birds those Aussies were talking about were but unless they were illegally smuggled in and have been kept a great secret or perhaps they tried to create them from scratch. I am sooooo glad to hear they are hardy... but I believe we will only have the Crele and Partridge varieties. All the imports are still in quarantine for another 4 weeks. Until they have passed all their pathology tests we don't know exactly what is being released. It is very exciting though!

I know, the eggs have become addictive for me... I started out with Araucanas and then branched into the dark egg layers. The only problem here is in Austalia is that even the Welsummers eggs weren't really dark. I had a really dark Barnevelder strain for a while but now I mainly have Marans (which are quite rare here in Aus and now coming more avaiable though with weak genetics). Penedesencas are one of the new breeds we have never had in Australia that have come in from an organised import from the UK. It is the first time in over 50 years we have had poultry imported other than for commercial purposes. I'm not sure what birds those Aussies were talking about were but unless they were illegally smuggled in and have been kept a great secret or perhaps they tried to create them from scratch. I am sooooo glad to hear they are hardy... but I believe we will only have the Crele and Partridge varieties. All the imports are still in quarantine for another 4 weeks. Until they have passed all their pathology tests we don't know exactly what is being released. It is very exciting though!

I am very excited for you!

Back
Top Bottom