Calling all Penedesencas Owners/Breeders

Pics
ok. I waited a bit longer. Somebody tell me... cockrel or pullet? (3 weeks old, btw)

wheatenpene2.jpg

and another so you can see the comb better.

wheatenpene3.jpg

looking like a little girl to me because I see no black feathers coming in, just the brown
at 3 weeks the boys start getting black feathers, at least in my limited experience
big_smile.png

I can't really tell yet, but if it starts getting black in the breast then it's a rooster.
Still can't tell I am some what new to the wheaton color.

Does anyone have a good close up photo of a partridge and a wheaten penn adult rooster?
I am trying to figure out how to tell the difference between an adult partridge and wheaten rooster.
I have 2 roosters. I know one is partridge and the other might be wheaten.
I have a nice partridge hen and want to be sure to put the right roo with her.

Unfortunatley my Wheaten hen some how broke a leg.
I have her in solitary, so maybe she'll heal well enough to be a one legged girl and not be in pain.
sad.png

Did you try splinting her leg? Maybe something like a Popsickle stick wrapped in Vet Wrap next to the Leg and then some Vet Wrap all around the Stick and the Leg taped would help for her. You could once you know she is comfortable try doing AI breeding with the Rooster you think is closest to Wheaten in Coloration, you can google for AI Instructions, its not as hard as you'd think at all, then get some fertilized eggs from them and hatch them out, the Wheatens will be the yellow chicks only, no streaking of color, those will be your pure for Wheatens, raise those chicks and you'll know for sure which is a True Wheaten Rooster. Just an Idea, figure its worth a try.

Victoria

Thanks for the suggestion.
I'll look into the AI.
I may need to use that for my turkeys.
My hen is very very flighty.
I guess my husband could hold her and I could try to splint the leg, if it doesn't frighten her to death

She probably won't survive if you don't splint the leg, I'd do it as soon as you can, you may have to cut the stick to make it the right size for the Leg, just guessing a Popsickle stick would work for it, then I'd put her in a cage or box by herself inside and keep her warm that should help with any shock she would have, you could also try putting some electolytes in the water to help her system for shock. There was something McMurray sold for those Cornish Rock Cross chicks that was put in their water for their rapid growth, I can't remember what it was called, it was some kind of a Booster, I'd try getting some of that for the water for her while the leg is healing to hopefully help to speed its recovery, they gave it to the Cornish Rock Cross because they grew so fast and their legs would break, so I think it might help the Hen, just a thought.

Victoria

Back
Top Bottom