Calls and Cayugas 2022 (duck diary)

Well, the remaining 4 eggs were expired. Made it to internal pip and no farther. She had these 4 out running around this afternoon. View attachment 3116289
Are you still thinking it's due to the jostling around? I noticed hairline cracks in a few of Lylah's DIS eggs but I'm not sure if it was an attempted external pip or from the other eggs and/or ducklings. I don't normally open up DIS eggs but I did with these because there were 5 of them. One was feet over head, one looked oddly large and the others I don't know what happened.

Last edited:
Are you still thinking it's due to the jostling around? I noticed hairline cracks in a few of Lylah's DIS eggs but I'm not sure if it was an attempted external pip of from the other eggs and/or ducklings. I don't normally open up DIS eggs but I did with these because there were 5 of them. One was feet over head, one looked oddly large and the others I don't know what happened.
I don't think so this time...but it's possible. Since she had trouble with the other ducks bothering her and I'm sure all of the extreme temperature changes we have had here lately did not help.
But I also think some of it is just the nature of the breed.
Some of mine are smaller and more "showy type" than the others.
Not saying I have anything that's show quality I'm just saying some of the ducklings could come out better quality than the parents. And have trouble breaking the shell to get out.

Big nose Barbie.. she has two eggs last I saw.
20220524_140155.jpg

I don't think so this time...but it's possible. Since she had trouble with the other ducks bothering her and I'm sure all of the extreme temperature changes we have had here lately did not help.
But I also think some of it is just the nature of the breed.
Some of mine are smaller and more "showy type" than the others.
Not saying I have anything that's show quality I'm just saying some of the ducklings could come out better quality than the parents. And have trouble breaking the shell to get out.
That makes sense ☺️ I'm sure I've said it before and I hope I don't sound cold hearted but as a first time mom, I think Lylah has plenty with 6 ducklings. I can't imagine 11 ducklings for a first time mom! I'm sure it happens and probably successfully, but seems like a stressful situation. It's sad whenever they do so well and even internally pip but don't hatch, but like we talked about before, had I tried to assist, things could have been far more tragic and visually heartbreaking. Thank you again for guiding me through my first broody Call hatch and the brooding tips (even the ones I read but quickly escaped my brain ☺️). I am so grateful for your help because I would have had a mess if I did what my first thought was to do. It's crazy how different things are between incubating and hatching vs broody hatching 💜 I would have been lost without you, Nat, BBT and Mare 💜

You have some gorgeous ducks 😍
Big Nose Barbie 🤣 She's got an adorable bill 💕 She's a beauty! Is Avatar fathering any ducklings? I'm curious if he'll share his coloring. We are in love with that Dusky Gray hen 😍

I don't know if you remember me asking if the Cayuga drakes end up with white feathers as they age or not. I did find someone on BYC's that has a Cayuga drake with white, so apparently it does happen. It's so beautiful in my opinion 😍

Back
Top Bottom