Can a Worm Be in An Egg?

For any type pest or parasite all I use is DE. I have never fail any test the health department has given me. I do give shots.
If the worms came out dead the DE you gave your flock did it's job.

Thanks for the support/tips/advice. I am slowly calming down. We have talked about a couple things and are going to think about it before doing something drastic. We have been wanting to get our chickens out on pasture in tractors so we're going to really push for that because where they're at now in the fenced in area I think is a big problem. It's all dirt so in the rain, you can imagine the mud.

Option 1 is to get rid of the majority of birds (except what we would need to keep our family) and just stop selling altogether (at least for now until we get a good regular preventative program going). I have 2 wire coops available where I think I will close the girls in entirely (even though they will hate it) while I do a worm cycle and after that, put them directly in their new homes out on pasture far far away from their old home. Then, as you said Punkin Peep, we will try to get on a good preventative schedule and just go from there. I finally got DE back in the spring with the intent of feeding that but in all honesty, it's been one of those things that has gotten pushed to the bottom of the list.

And then Option 2 would be to keep all of the chickens (minus a few of the older ones that we want to cull anyway) and do all of the other above steps. We just need to decide if raising eggs to sell is worth our time and money right now. We are finally starting to get a good clientele going. The only thing is, once they're on pasture, I'd like to get them on a natural (organic) feed and then sell the eggs for more so we may have to market to different people who don't mind paying for the "naturalness", but that's a whole other topic!

I enjoy my chickens immensely but I'm also a busy homeschool mom with little ones and don't have a lot of extra time so...we shall see. Thanks again for the comments!

Back
Top Bottom