Can anyone help me determine the sex of my guineas. I think ibhave a male and a female.

The link doesn't work.

Guineas are difficult to sex visually. There are slight differences between males and females, but not very obvious.

The easiest way to sex them is by sound. Both genders make a generic ek-ek-ek-ek sound, but only the females make a two-tone call often referred to as "buckwheat"

Their calls are the 100% way to sex them. Here's two examples of female and male calls. The female can also make the same noise as the male.

Sometimes the females don't have as large of a helmet and sometimes their wattles can be smaller. I have two white females who didn't develop wattles like my pearl females.

The females can tend to "talk" more...lol.

When they start vocalizing more...you'll probably wish they'd stop...lol.

My husband was trying to tell me something and my all my guineas started the alarm...lol. Too funny! They like to do that to him. :lau

IMG_1800.JPG
The link doesn't work.

Guineas are difficult to sex visually. There are slight differences between males and females, but not very obvious.

The easiest way to sex them is by sound. Both genders make a generic ek-ek-ek-ek sound, but only the females make a two-tone call often referred to as "buckwheat"

It's hard to get a close picture, they move so fast lol
This one has bigger wattles and are starting to turn up. They sound so similar, but I think I have one male and one female.

It's hard to get a close picture, they move so fast lol
This one has bigger wattles and are starting to turn up. They sound so similar, but I think I have one male and one female.

I am sorry, I cannot tell the gender of either guinea from that photo.

Did you listen to the video clips that WickedChicken posted? Both genders can make the same sound, but if you have only ever heard them make one noise, then probably both are males.

Back
Top Bottom