can i candle the eggs after 21 days!!

Absolutely, you can candle them! I don't know for sure how long they can be out but I know for sure several minutes is okay. You can't see much. But if they have pushed their beak into the air sac you can see that.
big_smile.png
Hope all is well!
jumpy.gif

Quote:
Loan, if you watch a chicken, they get up and move around a bit then sit back down on eggs, even after the 18th day. The trick is to not have that incubator open for a long period of time. Once to three times a day for no longer than 2 minutes is no problem. It does take a bit for the humidity get back up to optimum when you do it but it'll be okay.

Never could figure out exactly why everyone is so determined that you absolutely cannot open up the incubator at the ending of the turning cycle. I have never seen any bird other than a penguin spend 24-7 on the eggs. They get up, go drink, grab a bite, maybe preen in the sand a bit, then return to the nest. The shorter the time to hatch, the less they move around but they still go find a bug or three. I think the "lockdown" stage is more for newbies than anything. Those are the ones that get sooooo anxious to have their first hatch they check the eggs even more frequently many of us visit our chickens during the day. Since many may be opening and closing that incubator every hour or so, this decreases the humidity and can have an effect on the hatch. But the occasional peek in isn't a problem.

If it is that big a deal, I'm in a lot of trouble cause I just hatched 14 outta 15 broiler eggs for a friend of mine with opening the 'bator 2 times a day after removing them from the turner. Did the same thing with all the birds in my siggy line.

Quote:
Loan, if you watch a chicken, they get up and move around a bit then sit back down on eggs, even after the 18th day. The trick is to not have that incubator open for a long period of time. Once to three times a day for no longer than 2 minutes is no problem. It does take a bit for the humidity get back up to optimum when you do it but it'll be okay.

Never could figure out exactly why everyone is so determined that you absolutely cannot open up the incubator at the ending of the turning cycle. I have never seen any bird other than a penguin spend 24-7 on the eggs. They get up, go drink, grab a bite, maybe preen in the sand a bit, then return to the nest. The shorter the time to hatch, the less they move around but they still go find a bug or three. I think the "lockdown" stage is more for newbies than anything. Those are the ones that get sooooo anxious to have their first hatch they check the eggs even more frequently many of us visit our chickens during the day. Since many may be opening and closing that incubator every hour or so, this decreases the humidity and can have an effect on the hatch. But the occasional peek in isn't a problem.

If it is that big a deal, I'm in a lot of trouble cause I just hatched 14 outta 15 broiler eggs for a friend of mine with opening the 'bator 2 times a day after removing them from the turner. Did the same thing with all the birds in my siggy line.

Makes a lot of sense. I was quoting the article on dry incubation. I am sure that I have not doe thing 100% properly and this is day 18 on my first batch ever. Looks like 17 or 18 out of 20 original eggs.... dropped one that was fertile, only one definite bad and 1 maybe, so maybe I shouldn't have spoken up..... Dany know it all newbies lol.

I do notice that if I open the bator up to remove the eggs it drops my temp to the mid 80's. That is what concerned me, but you're right, the hens have to eat and drink sometimes. Not gonna sit those last 5 days without moving..... are they?

i have 10 eggs one hatched on the 21st day and it died the evening and it is the 23th day and no chicks i canled them and there is no beaks in the air cell i am getting worried now
help

can you see movement? If you can, then they're fine...give them a day or two and if there's no progress then I guess they wont hatch
sad.png
but don't be opening the bator a lot
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom