Can i make Bouncer the mother hen

big bouncer

In the Brooder
Nov 17, 2016
so i am thinking of imprinting my chicks with this as mother-hen xD. Will it work?

Talk to centrarchid about roosters brooding and nurturing chicks. She's had experience with that phenomena. It's not unheard of, and roosters, on the whole, are less likely to be a threat to chicks than are hens.

As far as a rooster recognizing his offspring, generally, roosters accept chicks hatched in the coop or run as their own regardless of genetic ties.

However, when they reach point of lay, roosters treat all pullets and hens the same as far as choosing whom to mate. They are interested in all of the females that are viable as well as some older ones who've been out of the egg laying business for a long time. Anyway, that's my experience.

Incest is a human prohibition.

Is your rooster good around chicks? Is he with other hens or chickens? I would be very careful. I have a rooster who has taken care of chicks at night after the hen left them a little early...they would cuddle under him just like a mother hen. But, roosters can also be very aggressive and even kill chicks, especially if they aren't used to them.

Honestly, I don't think you should risk it. Too unpredictable.

Is your rooster good around chicks? Is he with other hens or chickens? I would be very careful. I have a rooster who has taken care of chicks at night after the hen left them a little early...they would cuddle under him just like a mother hen. But, roosters can also be very aggressive and even kill chicks, especially if they aren't used to them.

Honestly, I don't think you should risk it. Too unpredictable.

Yeah he is with one other rooster and 19 hens. I just thought it would be awesome to have him raise 18 possible chicks. He is the father of a lot of the soon to hatch chicks, how will he know not to mate them?

Talk to centrarchid about roosters brooding and nurturing chicks. She's had experience with that phenomena. It's not unheard of, and roosters, on the whole, are less likely to be a threat to chicks than are hens.

As far as a rooster recognizing his offspring, generally, roosters accept chicks hatched in the coop or run as their own regardless of genetic ties.

However, when they reach point of lay, roosters treat all pullets and hens the same as far as choosing whom to mate. They are interested in all of the females that are viable as well as some older ones who've been out of the egg laying business for a long time. Anyway, that's my experience.

Incest is a human prohibition.
Maybe if i got him to raise them, he would refrain. I just want him to raise them i think itd be very cute. Tho i have some broody hens. I think he would be funny. Especially with his weird doooh duh sounds

I have a silkie rooster who sits on our silkie chicks. It was by coincidence that I found out though. I wasn't trying. I was integrating new chicks and after one night in the coop he had claimed them as his lol. I don't recommend trying if he isn't naturally paternal. Your broody hens would probably make better mothers for your chicks if you have that option. My friend free ranges amd her rooster killed like 3 chicks before mama hen could save them. Might not want to take that chance..

I have a silkie rooster who sits on our silkie chicks. It was by coincidence that I found out though. I wasn't trying. I was integrating new chicks and after one night in the coop he had claimed them as his lol. I don't recommend trying if he isn't naturally paternal. Your broody hens would probably make better mothers for your chicks if you have that option. My friend free ranges amd her rooster killed like 3 chicks before mama hen could save them. Might not want to take that chance..

Okay. I hope he will claim them, he is very soft and fluffy. Is that normal for jersey giants?

My nose was itching.

Rooster appears fully mature which is good. Most troubles I have with rooster not treating chicks well involves immature roosters. I thought is was mostly a Game (fighting) Rooster deal but others can do it too. Usually the rooster is not only the father, he spends a lot of time with chicks and mother immediately after hatch through 5 weeks. I had a couple Dominique roosters do it this summer with one or two chicks each with many penned game rooster doing same over the the years. First you need the birds to get to know each other in a setting where chicks can retreat if they need to. I use a pen with walls made of 2 x 4 welded wire. Then an over-sized feeder with low sides is kept over filled with a mix of feed. To eat the chicks must go in with rooster. If he tidbit calls for them and they respond then progress starting. Then when chicks too small to fly appreciably I make rooster roost on ground. Some times the chicks will go right in and snuggle under him. Otherwise is takes a few days. Either way you want chicks to sleep in close proximity to him until they go to him. The process can be complicated by cold / wet conditions where chicks need warmth but proper relationship not quite ready. Once chicks about 2 weeks old I put inverted milk crates into the pen. Rooster usually shifts roost to that location and chicks follow him up. I brood large, then position two crates side by side. Check to confirm no chicks sleep exposed for first couple nights. If chicks not up under roosters skirt, then place them there after dark.

I think Romans used to use this approach for some of there brooding of production birds.

Last edited:
My nose was itching.

Rooster appears fully mature which is good. Most troubles I have with rooster not treating chicks well involves immature roosters. I thought is was mostly a Game (fighting) Rooster deal but others can do it too. Usually the rooster is not only the father, he spends a lot of time with chicks and mother immediately after hatch through 5 weeks. I had a couple Dominique roosters do it this summer with one or two chicks each with many penned game rooster doing same over the the years. First you need the birds to get to know each other in a setting where chicks can retreat if they need to. I use a pen with walls made of 2 x 4 welded wire. Then an over-sized feeder with low sides is kept over filled with a mix of feed. To eat the chicks must go in with rooster. If he tidbit calls for them and they respond then progress starting. Then when chicks too small to fly appreciably I make rooster roost on ground. Some times the chicks will go right in and snuggle under him. Otherwise is takes a few days. Either way you want chicks to sleep in close proximity to him until they go to him. The process can be complicated by cold / wet conditions where chicks need warmth but proper relationship not quite ready. Once chicks about 2 weeks old I put inverted milk crates into the pen. Rooster usually shifts roost to that location and chicks follow him up. I brood large, then position two crates side by side. Check to confirm no chicks sleep exposed for first couple nights. If chicks not up under roosters skirt, then place them there after dark.

I think Romans used to use this approach for some of there brooding of production birds.

Well it is late fall, we are thinking of raising them inside with a heat lamp? Is that bad?

Back
Top Bottom