Can I put a chick with a broody who already has a chick?

_-Captain BRM-_

Post Tenebras Lux
Premium Feather Member
Feb 1, 2021
Can I put a chick with a broody who already has a chick? Her chick is a week old and I just had one hatch this morning. Could I try to put the new chick with her tonight? She is an incredible mama and I've had her hatch chicks a couple of times now. Any thoughts?

You can try but she probably won't accept it. We have had one hen steal another's babies but they were all hatched the same day. A week is a pretty long time but you can try and see what she does. Be careful though because the other chick is probably much bigger and the mama might leave the little guy behind!

What word are you stuck on? Coturnix is a type of quail and broody means a hen (or duck, quail, goose, ect.) that wants to hatch a clutch of eggs.
Broody. Yes I know about the quail...ty. this is why I love this group. Folks are not hateful and make u feel dumb. Just informative and knowledgeable.

Can I put a chick with a broody who already has a chick? Her chick is a week old and I just had one hatch this morning. Could I try to put the new chick with her tonight? She is an incredible mama and I've had her hatch chicks a couple of times now. Any thoughts?
If her chick is already a week old, then she may not accept a just hatched chick.
Be prepared to brood the newbie yourself.
Any more going to hatch soon?

sure, i dont see why not. just keep on eye on all 3 and make sure everybody is comfortable with the situation. I raise button quail and everytime i hatch a batch I put my best girl in with the babies. she has never had any of her own but she is so good with them.

sure, i dont see why not. just keep on eye on all 3 and make sure everybody is comfortable with the situation. I raise button quail and everytime i hatch a batch I put my best girl in with the babies. she has never had any of her own but she is so good with them.
Even if she isn't broody? Lol I have an old broody coturnix that I would love to adopt by newly hatch babies!

Back
Top Bottom