Can I shoot???

New2TheCoop

Songster
8 Years
Feb 5, 2011
Central, LA
.22 bullets are cheap... And it would be super quick, but someone told me you can't eat a chicken that you shoot because "the meat will be too tough"... Is this true?

I just killed my first hen yesterday,and I would say a small hand ax is fast and cheap.

Shooting will kill em, but why bother? As stated above, you still need to bleed em, and the time it takes to catch a thrashing body, is time you need for bleeding the bird.

It is just so much faster to tuck em under the arm facing backwards, have the spouse slit the jugular, and drop em in a barrel till the thrashing is done. keeps all the blood contained and no headless birds wandering the place.

Why risk shooting yourself in the foot
duc.gif
or your neighbor in the eye
ep.gif
( a .22 bullet will fly a mile ) ? Then, here come the judge to settle a law suit !!!
old.gif

You can do as ARose4Heaven suggested or you can make a killing cone out of a milk jug. I would suggest not shooting the chicken either unless you are an EXCELLENT shot.

Shooting don't work very well. We had a nasty EE rooster tgat kept attacking me, BF had bright idea to shoot him, he got out the .22 and some bullets, shoot him in the head, I swear it didn't phase him, he just started eating grass, we both looked at each other he tried again this time in the eye, he jumped in turn causing chaos all around, finally it took 3 bullets before he fell. I always felt him to be a bit evil. cutting the throat is best way to go.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom