Can Mice Eat Goslings?

azhenhouse

Songster
9 Years
11 Years
Jul 12, 2010
North Eastern Arizona
Our Pilgrim goslings are hatching, and the first one was attacked by something. I am now trying to figure out what it was. When we found the gosling with mom last night it was obvious that something wasn't right with him. About 1/4 to 1/3 of his bill is missing, and we just discovered a wound at the 'pit' of his leg. At first I thought that maybe a chicken got to him but his bill was chewed and not pecked. Because we have had such a mild winter the mice have become over populated, and they are the only ones that I believe could have done on this damage to the gosling. Could or would mice chew through a bill? Man, so much for letting the parents raise the goslings.
sad.png

Can and likely to are two different things - I'd suspect rats over mice for that kind of damage, if a rodent *was* involved, but it isn't outside the realm of possibility. If you post pictures of the wounds it may be easier to guess as to what has happened. As it sounds like this was a fresh hatchling it could be a few different things happening.

Our Pilgrim goslings are hatching, and the first one was attacked by something. I am now trying to figure out what it was. When we found the gosling with mom last night it was obvious that something wasn't right with him. About 1/4 to 1/3 of his bill is missing, and we just discovered a wound at the 'pit' of his leg. At first I thought that maybe a chicken got to him but his bill was chewed and not pecked. Because we have had such a mild winter the mice have become over populated, and they are the only ones that I believe could have done on this damage to the gosling. Could or would mice chew through a bill? Man, so much for letting the parents raise the goslings.
sad.png
Poor little soul. Geese generally are super-protective. i really don´t believe a rodent could ever get anywhere near my lot! And if it did, I´d hear about it a mile away! Be interesting to see pics. sometimes they hatch with deformities.

AZhenhouse - I've never heard of them doing that, but weasels start at the head. We just lost a gosling to one this morning :(

I need to talk to you about your Pilgrims. I raise them in Illinois & had a fellow in AZ who is looking for someone nearby that he'd be able to buy goslings from - I only ship hatching eggs. You can email me at [email protected] I'd really appreciate it!

Sincerely,
Joyce

Back
Top Bottom