Can Muscovy Drakes injure a hen when mating?

Noelani

Chirping
Jan 28, 2018
Hawaii
I went out to feed my Muscovy ducks and one of the females didn't move. I thought she might be egg bound and walked up to her, she tried to get away and that is when I saw the injury on her back - just at her tail. I picked her up and put her in a sink full of water, I could tell she wasn't using her left leg also. Our Drake is very amorous, so I am wondering if he got too aggressive and may have injured her. They are safely away from anything else that could have injured her.

I have read here that the better ratio is to have 3 or 4 hens for one drake. Does anyone know if Muscovy drakes can injure the hens or not?

Honestly my Muscovy drakes I’ve had a few and more than one at a time have never injured any of their females but I do keep at least 4 female or more to each drake. Most I’ve ever seen is some feathers missing on their necks but not even that much. Not saying with their sharp claws one couldn’t injure a female maybe an inexperienced drake? Can you post a pic of her injury ?

duck Injury.jpg
I have her in a box in the garage so she can ke
Muscovy Injury 2.jpg

Are you absolutely sure something couldn’t reach inside you pen or where ever you keep them? I imagine an aggressive drake could do that I’ve Just never had one.

We've only had these ducks for a few months. The hens just started laying eggs. They are all pretty young. So that is why I asked if this is something that can happen.

That honestly looks more like something got hold of her @oldhenlikesdogs has any of your drakes injured you females like this? @sourland

I've never had anything like that happen, but with an extremely large and aggressive drake I suppose it might be possible. As a matter of fact my Muscovy drakes never were as sex crazed as the mallard derived birds. Bottom line is that this hen will have to be separated from the drake for a long time. That will heal but not readily.

I'm with @Miss Lydia in that my gut wants to scream 'predator'. Good luck in resolving this situation.

We don't have many predators here in Hawaii, but they are fenced in right by our dogs. I can't see how the dogs could have gotten a hold of her but she might have been sitting too close to the fence. The fence is very strong and there are not any openings large enough for their muzzles to get through. The only other predator might be the Hawaiian Hawk, which is smaller than the hen.

I have her in a box in the garage for now, let her rest and keep quiet.

I would agree that's not from the drake. Something with more than a duck bill did that damage. Do you have chickens?

Back
Top Bottom