Can my ducklings have snacks now?

SeaSea47

Songster
7 Years
Mar 12, 2017
Hi, I got six khaki campbell ducks today. They are supposed to be a couple of days old, but I think they may be closer to a week? Anyway, they’re taking well to their brooder. Eating their crumbles and nutritional yeast, playing in their water dish more than I thought they would, and getting warm under their heating plate after playing in the very shallow water.

I was going to wait to give them treats but should I go ahead? They do pick at their pine shavings, and I don’t want them to get bored. I was just thinking some chopped up greens and blueberries? Is it too soon? They seem a lot more capable than my baby chicks always have.

Thanks! I attached a couple of photos if that helps with sizing/age.

PS. I have them under a Producer’s Pride heating plate on the third level. Is that sufficient heat for them? I have a space heater on the counter as well (they are in my bathroom), and they seem more active when it’s on.

Attachments

• ED9ABBFF-D8E2-4B77-B951-190EB48AEF47.jpeg
    ED9ABBFF-D8E2-4B77-B951-190EB48AEF47.jpeg
    383.9 KB · Views: 7
  • 57082ADF-6C70-427E-9738-E0A3E98C9387.jpeg
    57082ADF-6C70-427E-9738-E0A3E98C9387.jpeg
    152.3 KB · Views: 6
When my momma Mallard hatched out babies, on the second day of age, I took some scissors to grass, weeds, and leaves outside the run and snipped them into small pieces. Then, I dropped about a cup of them into the water dish along with some meal worms. Momma and Babies go crazy! In the wild momma feeds her babies greens and insects when there young, so I can't imagine that does any harm.

When my momma Mallard hatched out babies, on the second day of age, I took some scissors to grass, weeds, and leaves outside the run and snipped them into small pieces. Then, I dropped about a cup of them into the water dish along with some meal worms. Momma and Babies go crazy! In the wild momma feeds her babies greens and insects when there young, so I can't imagine that does any harm.
Thank you! I was thinking along those lines, but I just wanted to be sure. I feel like a new mom. Haha.

My understanding is that if you feed anything besides crumble/commercial food you should also offer chick grit. In nature the babies would be picking it up from the ground. Grit helps grind up food, as ducks have no teeth.

If you do choose to feed treats make sure to chop them finely so they aren't a choking hazard.
Thanks for mentioning this, I totally skipped over that. :goodpost:

Back
Top Bottom