Solved Can people stop responding to 10 year old threads?

Pics
This didn't happen because I search the BYC archives but because I google searched a question and it directed me to a BYC thread. If you search "how do I_______" and it's anything related to something that was talked about on this site it pops up and when you click on it you're now in the middle of a discussion about an incubation problem reading and reading and then you get to the end and realize its from 2007. I think its probably a google search issue more that a BYC. Again I'm somewhat new and if someone already said this I apologize.
That's a great point!

Google isn't archiving our info based on age, so IMO, that validates our process of doing the same, for the same reasons :)

As a newbie, I feel like I'm not allowed to start a new thread. That I'm supposed to dig up old post that were vaguely on-topic and add a comment/question there. If the old posts were archived, then I would feel free to start a new thread.
Why do you feel that way? I think you're the first person in 15 years of owning BYC that I've heard say that they don't feel allowed to start a new thread.

Why do you feel that way? I think you're the first person in 15 years of owning BYC that I've heard say that they don't feel allowed to start a new thread.
I was surprised by that comment as well. I've only been a member 1.5 years but never felt that way. I better at searching forums now but still feel able to post a question. I'm sure those who have been on byc for years feel the same questions get asked over and over. But we all started from scratch and other's experience and advice is welcomed.

I've just read a number of places that you're supposed to go read the old posts on topic before posting a question. Or places where someone posts a question and is only referred to an older post that is sort of on the topic, but maybe not exactly. I haven't started any new threads. And everybody seems pretty friendly, but just saying that I have the impression from the guidelines that we're supposed to dig up the existing older threads rather than starting the 29th thread on the same repeated question that every newbie asks.

I have the impression from the guidelines that we're supposed to dig up the existing older threads
Sorry, I'm still confused.

I can understand you having your own interpretation of other members posting links, suggestions, etc.,

... but this is VERY different from our site "guidelines".

If you see anywhere that we (BYC, staff, admins, moderators, etc.) have said anything that even remotely seems like a "guideline" that says you, or anyone "is not allowed to start a new thread", please let me know IMMEDIATELY so we can make changes where needed.

That said, it seems like you might be interpreting other members actions / replies as official BYC policy and process... which I assure you is not the case. We gladly support our members to create any new threads that they want. Of course we'd love to see them find answers in existing threads (using the similar threads / search, etc. tools), but this is definitely not a policy or a requirement.

I've just read a number of places that you're supposed to go read the old posts on topic before posting a question. Or places where someone posts a question and is only referred to an older post that is sort of on the topic, but maybe not exactly. I haven't started any new threads. And everybody seems pretty friendly, but just saying that I have the impression from the guidelines that we're supposed to dig up the existing older threads rather than starting the 29th thread on the same repeated question that every newbie asks.
Please don't be afraid to start new threads! No one is going to have the exact same birds, situation, set up, etc... as you. So don't be afraid to start a thread targeted at YOUR specific situation, instead of reading up on other's who may not align. 😊

Back
Top Bottom