can pigeon sit and hatch bantam chicken eggs

I use my pigeon to hatch out bantam chicken eggs all the time.

They brood the eggs great no problems.

1. wait till your pigeons lay and start to brood their eggs.
2. Throw away or eat the pigeon eggs and replace with 2 bantam eggs.
3. Write down the hatch date so you won't forget!!!!
4. When the chicks hatch out.. wait till they are dry and fluffy and then take them out and rear them in a brooder.

Do not leave the chicken chicks with the pigeons to raise.. because both species are very different in that stage of their life. The chicken chicks need to run about on the ground and eat food on their own. Pigeon squabs don't do this.. they need to stay in the nest and have the parents regurgitate food to them.

If you leave the chicken chicks with the pigeons the pigeons will start to vomit food all over them and make them wet and dirty... or they will get confused and maybe peck and injure or kill the chicken chick in their stress.

Anyone know?
Yes it has been done in a perfect world if all the planet align for you.

Human intervention is of course needed in order for the newly hatched chicks to reach adult hood. The pigeon parents would be confused with the chicks needs and instincts which would be contrary to squabs requirements.

Last edited:
Probably not, because they are two different (genus)? And pigeon chicks hatch naked and have to be fed daily by the parents, while poultry chicks can eat from day 1. Hope this helps!

According to google they can hatch them not care for them after the fact but im assuming its rare it would have to be a banty egg. A link i read said a pigeon hatched a turkey egg. I guess it is possible but not common lol

Back
Top Bottom