Can Someone Help Me Identify this Bantam Hen

This bird isnt part Silkie or Cochin.
Yeah unless they were impure? So a beardless silkie with only one gene for crest and only 1 gene for 5 toes and foot feathers crossed with a cochin with only one gene for foot feathering?

Crestless, beardless, foot featherless silkie x cochin x whatever they're mutts with bird with 4 toes??? It seems far fetched though. The odds would be minuscule, right?

At this point I need pics of their birds they're saying this one came from. Ask for pics of their breeders that your eggs came from.

Good grief.
I did they didn't really comply... hahahah 😂 I'm laughing to avoid screaming lol. This has happened to me with all my eggs I've gotten and a few other chicks. Luckily they're pets so I love them anyway.

I should caveat this post saying the below chickens are the first chickens I ever bought. I didn't know a lot about chickens when I purchased them but because of my interest I quickly learned that they were not what I was sold. I love them even more though for their uniqueness, but the story is funny.

They are mutts, too, and I got them from a different farm... I think they all ended up being silkie mixes 🤣

After Bernard (the hen on the original post hatched), I got two chicks to keep this hen company (she was the only egg to hatch out of the eggs I ordered so she needed friends), I was told they were cochins.... one of them had 5 toes... the other was an egg still at the time....

Then suddenly, as the first getting older, he (I was also told it was a pullet) had muffs, beard, and crests come in. I inquired, and she told me that the dad was a sablepoot cochin, the mom was a cochin, and hen that laid the egg she had given me (still incubating at the time) was part silkie and old english game cochin. And I was like :sick "DUDE! I think you have the words cochin and bantam mixed up!!!" Then the supposed cochin/sablepoot mix grew up to literally look 50% silkie. And the silkie, sablepoot, OEGB mix looks like what he is lol.

I'll attach their photos. You've seen the one I posted this thread about... she was an egg I hatched from a supposed cochin x silkie crossing.... and she turned out looking like a shrunken australorp or something... the following are just as comical.

This was sold to me as a Cochin, then I was told "Sablepoot Cochin x Cochin cochin"... she keeps silkies and Ameracaunas, and I think it's an Ameracauna x Silkie mix.... not a cochin
(you decide)
IMG_3246.JPG
IMG_3245.JPG

And here's my best friend, Humphrey, sweetest rooster alive. He was sold to me as a cochin egg. Then when he was born, I asked for a picture of his mother, and she had a crest, beard, and muff..... I probed (same person FYI as the above rooster, but I got the egg when I got the chick above)... I was told the mom was a silkie mixed with OEG cochin and the dad was a sablepoot cochin...... at this point I'm like 🤯.... and Humphrey really does look like a sablepoot x a silkie/OEGB mix. I guess she may be right about his parentage (minus the cochin, by which she means bantam). He's got poor mille fleur patterning (I say poor because it was way more prominent when he was a young cockerel - now at 4 months old the white tips are barely noticeable), and he has a comb kinda like a mix between a walnut and strawberry. I think she thinks bantam = cochin:
IMG_3276.JPG
IMG_3272.JPG

So my journey didn't end there....... I got two more chicks that were supposedly full silkies..... they mostly look the part but one has a GIANT floppy single comb. When he was a chick, he didn't have a noticeable comb..... so... I got that surprise as he grew up. His name is snowball, and he is king of the flock.

IMG_3201.JPG
IMG_3242.JPG

And here is Regi, and she came from the same farmer. Interesting to note - saw all their birds, and they looked like proper silkies - black/grey and mulberry colored walnut combs... must have been some impurity somewhere in the genes.
IMG_3194.JPG
IMG_3197.JPG

I did they didn't really comply... hahahah 😂 I'm laughing to avoid screaming lol. This has happened to me with all my eggs I've gotten and a few other chicks. Luckily they're pets so I love them anyway.

I should caveat this post saying the below chickens are the first chickens I ever bought. I didn't know a lot about chickens when I purchased them but because of my interest I quickly learned that they were not what I was sold. I love them even more though for their uniqueness, but the story is funny.

They are mutts, too, and I got them from a different farm... I think they all ended up being silkie mixes 🤣

After Bernard (the hen on the original post hatched), I got two chicks to keep this hen company (she was the only egg to hatch out of the eggs I ordered so she needed friends), I was told they were cochins.... one of them had 5 toes... the other was an egg still at the time....

Then suddenly, as the first getting older, he (I was also told it was a pullet) had muffs, beard, and crests come in. I inquired, and she told me that the dad was a sablepoot cochin, the mom was a cochin, and hen that laid the egg she had given me (still incubating at the time) was part silkie and old english game cochin. And I was like :sick "DUDE! I think you have the words cochin and bantam mixed up!!!" Then the supposed cochin/sablepoot mix grew up to literally look 50% silkie. And the silkie, sablepoot, OEGB mix looks like what he is lol.

I'll attach their photos. You've seen the one I posted this thread about... she was an egg I hatched from a supposed cochin x silkie crossing.... and she turned out looking like a shrunken australorp or something... the following are just as comical.

This was sold to me as a Cochin, then I was told "Sablepoot Cochin x Cochin cochin"... she keeps silkies and Ameracaunas, and I think it's an Ameracauna x Silkie mix.... not a cochin
(you decide)
View attachment 2800839View attachment 2800840

And here's my best friend, Humphrey, sweetest rooster alive. He was sold to me as a cochin egg. Then when he was born, I asked for a picture of his mother, and she had a crest, beard, and muff..... I probed (same person FYI as the above rooster, but I got the egg when I got the chick above)... I was told the mom was a silkie mixed with OEG cochin and the dad was a sablepoot cochin...... at this point I'm like 🤯.... and Humphrey really does look like a sablepoot x a silkie/OEGB mix. I guess she may be right about his parentage (minus the cochin, by which she means bantam). He's got poor mille fleur patterning (I say poor because it was way more prominent when he was a young cockerel - now at 4 months old the white tips are barely noticeable), and he has a comb kinda like a mix between a walnut and strawberry. I think she thinks bantam = cochin:
View attachment 2800848View attachment 2800849

So my journey didn't end there....... I got two more chicks that were supposedly full silkies..... they mostly look the part but one has a GIANT floppy single comb. When he was a chick, he didn't have a noticeable comb..... so... I got that surprise as he grew up. His name is snowball, and he is king of the flock.

View attachment 2800854View attachment 2800855

And here is Regi, and she came from the same farmer. Interesting to note - saw all their birds, and they looked like proper silkies - black/grey and mulberry colored walnut combs... must have been some impurity somewhere in the genes.
View attachment 2800856View attachment 2800857
Holy crow. 😳

Gosh they're adorable though and so pretty!

Maybe from here on out, ask for pics of breeding stock first. Then make your decision to purchase eggs/chicks. People can still lie about what birds eggs came from, but then at least you have proof of those lies if the chicks hatch out and don't add up to what you paid for.

Holy crow. 😳

Gosh they're adorable though and so pretty!
Haha, yes, but none of them are cochins, or silkies, or silkie cochins, they're all mutts, but they're the best haha... terrified the males will get aggressive. Just waiting for when I have to rehome one or more. Have someone lined up, but they have a really good dynamic. I hope it sticks.

Maybe from here on out, ask for pics of breeding stock first. Then make your decision to purchase eggs/chicks. People can still lie about what birds eggs came from, but then at least you have proof of those lies if the chicks hatch out and don't add up to what you paid for.
Yes, I most definitely would. And if I ever sell eggs from these - they will be labeled "random silkie bantam mix" hahahah 🤣

You're already a great seller in my book. Honesty is the best!
Haha I haven't sold anything yet. I only have three eggs so far from those hens, but if people want a mixed chick they want one, and otherwise, I'm not going to tell them it's a purebred to sell them. They're adorable though. Thank you for trying to help me identify Bernard (the hen), it was fun :) I really enjoy trying to figure it out haha

Back
Top Bottom