Can someone recommend a rooster breed ??

I have a rescued gamecock that was supposed to be destroyed but they never got a chance to do it and the lady at the shelter gave it to me.

He is gentle. He is used to being handled. However, I use to have a brown leghorn rooster that I raised since he was a baby chick. He was the best.

(My Theory-If you raised it and you handled him when he was a chick, he becomes calm and gentle)
I could be wrong but my brown leg horn is not aggressive considering the leghorn breed.

Side note- I noticed when a bird flys over the yard, the rooster makes a sound and all the girls stop and look around.

Well Joe, I've got a white leghorn roo you can borrow and try if ya want.
He's a cool roo but he's scheduled for the chopping block cause I can't
have crowing here.

I had a RIR rooster I loved. He was very cool but did start to get cranky.
He made an unbelievable pot of soup.

I've got a batch of Buff Orps just hatching so I'm sure to have a Buff roo.
The idea of culling a Buff scares me. They are SO nice.

Don

Don,

I would definitely be interested in a couple of Buffs, including a Buff roo if you can part with some.....
big_smile.png

In fact, in re-reading your post I'd really like to take a look at your setup....I'd like to learn to incubate & hatch eggs as well as cleaning & prepping birds for dinner too....
tongue.png

PM me if you can !

Quote:

Last edited:
Joe-look under the incubating and hatching thread...Miss Prissy has step-by-step instructions with photos on processing and lots of info on incubating,including building your own incubator. Good luck!!

Back
Top Bottom