Can you genetically select for quieter ducks?

Adolfus Nile

Chirping
Jan 12, 2023
I keep two duck flocks and one of them is a pekin flock. when the ducks cause a commotion it seems to always be the same pekin duck. If i butcher her for thanksgiving will another duck step up and take up the "alarm" role?

I hope so... none of the other ducks are loud quite at the level she is.
i mean i really think that another duck will step up. i have had alarm ducks come and go, but there’s always someone to step up, lol. ducks are just loud little clowns. i’m blessed that my neighbors don’t mind them, i live in rural area

I keep two duck flocks and one of them is a pekin flock. when the ducks cause a commotion it seems to always be the same pekin duck. If i butcher her for thanksgiving will another duck step up and take up the "alarm" role?
If you try it, please report back on the results. I am very curious.

I have personal experience with chickens but not ducks. With chickens, butchering the loudest hen does make the flock quieter. The others do not seem to feel any need to make noise in her place (the remaining ones make as much noise as they ever did, but not extra to make up for the extra-loud hen that is missing.)

I have no idea whether ducks would be like or unlike chickens in this respect.

My son has a very noisy little female pekin and her sister who is almost always silent. We received two rehomed pekins two months ago that fitted right in with my son's flock and are virtually silent.

However, last year, when my son's drake came over to join my flock for a while (he was refusing to accept a muscovy female into the flock) the virtually silent sister became vocal and took over leadership of the flock of pekins plus one muscovy.

It is clear to us that with one very noisy little duck, the others have no need to be vocal, unless there is a particular need. Our particular need was for flock leadership. Drake is now back and the silent sister has become silent again. I feel sure if the very noisy little duck were to come to me for a week, the silent one would find her voice again!

How old? My 4 female runners are almost 9 weeks and boy can they quack but usually once they mature they are quiter.

In my experience, there’s always one “spokesduck”. It is the job of the spokesduck to inform the entire world when the flock is bored, in danger, or hungry. In the beginning, my original Rouen, Daphne took the role. When she lost her voice for a few weeks, one of the newer girls took the role until Daphne got her voice back. My current sookesduck is Remi, also a Rouen. She’s very good at her job. :idunno

Back
Top Bottom